Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

db750 how´s the low B ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowstar, Feb 21, 2006.

1. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    hi folks,
    i currently play a wt400/xst210 with warwicks,fender jazzes and musicmans. the style is pop and some fusion (no, those are no swearwords!)
    as i turn 35 soon, i wanna do myself some good and get me a fat mercedes benz rig. i searched alot in this forum, but so far nobody mentioned how the db750 projects notes on the b-string of a fiver.
    i know the easiest answer would be "go to a shop and play one", but, alas, they´re not so easy to come by here in schnitzelland.
    i like the bass strong but tight and punchy, but i don´t want it to be overwhelming and murky.
    so, will the aguilar deliver ?

cheers,
    lowstar

2. For the style of music you describe, and your interest in a 'tight punchy' B string, I would think the Eden800(b) would be a better choice than the 750. While my experience with the 750 is more limited than with the 800, the low end of that unit is more on the 'overwhelming' side than the punchy side, and the EQ does not allow for a lot of tweeking down low.

The 750 is obviously an amazing piece of gear, expecially for someone looking for a relatively tube-like sounding rock tone. However, IMO, the 800 through a larger cab (either a 410XLT if you like that sound and don't mind the weight), or an Epifani410UL would really give you a tight, punchy low end along with much more precise articulation than the 750.

Again, as always, IMO!

K

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    +1

Why do I always find myself agreeing with everything Ken says? The DB750 has MASSIVE low end, and if you want a tight/punchy low B vs. a big, open sounding low B, then you may think that the Aggie is "overwhelming" in the low end. Its really sounds alot like a tube amp to me. Its a great head, but doesn't sound like what you are describing. You would probably be better off with something more punchy and quick, like the Eden WT800 or the Thunderfunk TF550 (punch for days!)

4. I use A warwick streamer stII 5'er and a thumb 5 through my DB750 with 10's. To my ears it sound great on the B. Both my basses are active, and I leave the bass flat on the basses and around 12:00 on the head. I never (live) use the bass boost switch though.

It sounds tight to me and there's enough power to keep the B solid.

BUT.....I have noticed that with cheap 10" cabs, it farts out quickly and that with 12's it gets a hair of a hair looser on the bottom end.

Once again, all this is my opinion, not fact.

5. I use a db750 with a Berg NV215. Tight baby..tight. Big bootay and ... did I say tight. True, the bottom end is big and I never have to turn it up an actually cut the bass a bit on the amp. Does sound like a tube amp too. With 15's it's awesome... not much of a tens lover here.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

like biggie's alluding to, i dont think the amp really has as much to do with the tightness or projection of a low B as much the cab does. as long as you have enough wattage to push those low B frequencies, the low B should sound fine. one of my fav combos is the DB750 rockin' thru my Acme B2. tighter than a oil drum and just as heavy in your chest.

course, the EQ on the WT800B is much more versatile, which'll help you carve out a more precise low B. but thats only if you want to deal w/ the EQ section. course, the WT800B is an awesome little amp, and i'm hugging mine as we speak. :p

both are killer amps, and a little aguilar bling never hurt no one.

7. That's truly quotable. :D :D :D :D :D

8. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    thanks for your answers so far. initially, i thought about the wt800b too, but i wanted something a little different as a second amp, otherwise i´d just need a power amp to drive it with the wt400.
    i don´t mind if the low b rattles the house, i just want to avoid boominess.
    cheers,
    lowstar