Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB750 in a 4-Space Rack...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Sure would appreciate some help here... :)

As I've posted somewhat recently, I got myself an Aguilar DB750 not too long ago (approx. 3 weeks ago). I probably should seek professional help, as I cannot explain why I'm having such a love affair with an inanimate object. This amp is so simple, yet she will do anything I ask of her... I told you I'm sick... :D

Here's my situation: I have my DB750 rack-mounted in a 4-space SKB, along with a Korg DTR1000 tuner. I'm sure all y'all know that there ain't no more space left over. To date, I've not gigged with the Aggie... just practice sessions on Sunday afternoons, and Monday evenings. What I'm noticing is... 'DA HEAT!!! :cool: Since I've used the Aggie only for practice thus far, I've been working her kinda hard: I've been pairing-up my Bergie NV215 and my Eden D410XLT... both 4-Ohm cabinets. I'll leave it to your imagination as to the sound capabilities, but I do notice a lot of heat eminating out of the back of the rack. I've become a little paranoid, so I started blowing a fan at the back of the rack, but I also understand that the twin cooling fans are designed to draw the heat out of the amplifier.

Here comes my questions: 1.) Do any of you DB750 owners have your baby stuffed in a 4-space rack as I do, and if so, any heat issues? If you have had heat issues, what did you do about it?? 2.) Since the twin cooling fans are designed to draw the heat out of the amp, am I contradicting the cooling purpose by blowing air at the back of the rack???

Bottom line thus far, ladies and gentlemen, is that my beloved Aggie hasn't fried any eggs, boiled any water, or simply shut down... she's been giving me all that I've demanded... so far.

I would simply like to know if I'm just being overly concerned, or if any of y'all think I should do something different in order to preseve my Aggie's life... :meh:

Thank you for your time, and I shall look forward to any, and all suggestions! :bassist:

2. Kee, glad you like the 750 ... me too.
    I have never run anything but my EL Whappo at 4ohm and it doesn't hardly get warm, so I'm sure it's the load that your using that's making it hotter. It's supposed to be designed for that but 2ohms is always pushing it in my book... I would call Aguilar to make sure. In regards to rack cases, I purchased both a brand new SKB19-4U and a Gator Shallow 4 space. The SKB is a better case IMO, (heavier more rigid plastic and completely protects the whole amp with extra depth. The Gator is getting used though. Why? Well, mostly because it make the carry much eaiser to me. The amp's weight is much more evenly distributed in the shallow case, and the cooling area sticks out the back for better cooling. The down side of the Gator Shallow is less protection from i.e. rain, spills, collision to the back/exposed part of the amp, and...you have to take all the cords loose and AC plug too get the rear cover on when done. The power button is exposed and less than an 1/2 from the inner rear cover so I always set/store it on it's side. So far it has worked out great for me, but I'm expremely careful (ocd even) with it. I've kept the SKB because I think they may discontinue them soon...??.. and the other SKB (roto style etc.) are just not for me... Anyway I think your SKB should be fine, but check on the heat thing with Dave B. at Aguilar. Personally I haven't found any need so far to add a cab to my EW. Of course I'm getting a Tri210L soon and will have to try them together. Luckily the AGrooves have the 4-8ohm switch or I can just switch to my CA9 rig and run both at 4ohm per side and get still get massive power. Currently my favorite amp is the DB750 though. Hope this helps some.

3. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Hi, I thought I would chime in here. The fans on the DB 750 blow into the amp, not the other way round.

This amp is really, really designed to run at 2 ohms all day long. It will be a bit warmer at 2 ohms; but will be fine.
    You don't need any additional fans. Don't worry, enjoy!

Hope this is helpful

Dave

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Well thank you, Dave B. I take it you're from Aguilar-land, and that you know what you're talking about... :D

Like I said in my initial post, while I've noticed the heat, the amp just keeps on rockin'... she never shut down on me. The majority of venues over here aren't the kind of gigs where I can use both of my cabinets anyway; therefore, I'll probably be using my NV215 most of the time. However, it's certainly reassuring to hear from a company representative that I can keep on blasting away at 2 Ohms if I so choose!

Your DB750 is truly a remarkable piece of equipment...

Thanks again... :bassist:

5. Blow into the amp... that's good to know... :meh:
    I'll have to remember to shut it down if any nasty things start blowing around my favorite amp...
    I guess smoky bars are bout the worst thing, cept for any type of moisture. Thanks Dave.

6. You prolly realized this, but you know the "DB" in "DB750? (Dave Boonshoft). :)

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, a DB750 with a Berg 215 huh? Now all you need to do is get a 610 and pair it with the 215 for complete tonal bliss. :bassist: :D

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    No kidding! I've been running that scenario around in my head, too. What I did was purchase an Eden D410XLT, which I got new from zZounds.com. They're in your part of the country... New Jersey. The price was very reasonable, $927, and they paid the shipping all the way out here (UPS 2nd Day Air... can you believe that?!?). The price on the NV610 was the same from two different sources: $1020. I would've had to pick up the shipping to Hawaii, and that would've been an additional $180. Having said that, I'm still mulling over the NV610, and when I receive my bonus in early '06, I just might take the plunge. However, the D410XLT paired-up with the NV215 is pretty damn awesome, too! :eek: :eek:

While there are a couple of Eden dealers out here, there is no Bergantino dealer... :crying: ... and there's also no Ashdown dealer out here... :bawl: That really bothers me, as I am currently having an issue with my ABM500-RC Evo-II, so I'm dealing directly with Ashdown over there in Jolly Old England! We think the transformer is "weak." So Ashdown has supposedly sent me a new one, but they apparently shipped it via Parcel Post. It's been three weeks since they mailed it... I figure at least four weeks to get here from the UK... :meh:

Thanks for your comment, emjazz... As a fellow connoisseur of Jim Bergantino's products, your thoughts are especially appreciated... :)

David :cool:

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah David, I saw that you're having problems with your Ashdown. That is absolutely one of my favorite amps, which is why I own one. I really hope that it truly is the power section of your amp and it gets resolved.

You just happen to have my two favorite amps......

Oh, and any time I get to talk about Jim's cabinets is a good time. I went through A LOT of cabs before I got to Jim's. There's noone out there that I have more respect for in his field.

10. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    No, I didn't... but, seeing as he's 50% of Aggie-land... why not name such a formidable creation after one's self??? :D

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA