1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Db750 on the way. Should I sell my ca-9?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eots, Mar 31, 2006.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    This is splurging for me. So far, my single biggest purchase item for my bass habit. Actually, it's like it didn't cost anything. I sold 2 basses, a guitar , power amp, and some speakers that covered it, but who's adding?:smug:
    I don't have it til 4/05 but I have a CA-9 that I just couldn't get myself to try some preamps thru, except the line out of my Yamaha bbt500h.
    I like the idea of less complexity with the head vs pre/power.
    Anyway, is there any reason I need to hang on to the Crest?:confused:
    I have a Schroeder 410 swallowing all that finely honed current. I originally got the ca9 to drive the 410, not that the yammy couldn't but used the yammy pre cause I like it's features and tone.
    My (light) weight rig is my Yamaha b500h + 2 EA wizzy's.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, you wouldn't have a need for the CA9 to be used in conjunction with the DB 750, so unless you have need for another killer amp (PA?) or need for a backup rig, then you might just want to sell it. Those things should sell pretty fast! :D

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You'll have two of the best power amp sections in the bass market. You shouldn't have any problem selling the CA-9. Infact, if you do, my friend may want to buy it. :D

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Congratulations! You now have a new 'best friend'... :hyper:

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive got an idea. When it gets to you, write my name and address on it and send it to me

Rob

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I doubt you will have anything but amazement for the DB750, but you never know.

I'd suggest living with the DB750 a little while just to make sure you're happy with it before parting company with the CA9 -- the CA9 and a good preamp are hard to beat, but as you say, not quite the convenience of a head.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    no doubt...

the 750's power section is one of the BEST i've heard, used, salivated after. run whatever preamp you'd like in the "power amp in", and voila! a power amp that you can use. and feel like being lazy, just use the free preamp already in the 750!

so, yea, i say the CA9 can hit the 'bay.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You don't need no steenkeeng CA-9.

9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd say that, unless you have a need for a power amp when using the CA-9... sell it.

You can use the 750 as a power amp.

10. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Just having played the 750 once I could see why theres so much love for these things. The loyal CA9 owner in my says: KEEP THE CA9!!! However, if I had a 750 I don't know how I could let it sit in the corner.

I guess this isn't too bad of a dilemma :)

I'd say keep the CA9 if you can afford to. Great in a PA and no reason to chunk it if you don't have to. The gear whore in me says you can just add a pre to the CA9 and have another amazing separate rig.

11. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Just feel like tossing this into the mix... while I did do this once before, it was sometime around last T-giving... so I felt like doing it again last weekend...

...I wired my Ashdown ABM500-RC Evo-II into my Big Daddy Aggie. So, I had the EQing of the Evo-II, along with it's Overdrive and Sub-Harmonizer. Couple that with the awesome power of the Big Daddy... oh, yeah... I also hooked-up my NV425 and NV215 to the Big Daddy... I had fun... :eek:

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 :cool:

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    holy crap...