DB750 or 400+ into NV215 ??? Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Aguilar DB750

21 vote(s)
  2. Mesa 400+

15 vote(s)
  1. Obviously the 750 has more power but is not all tubes.
    They weigh about the same and have similar vintage tone.
    The 400+ really is only about 300w not the 500w they claim.

I have a chance to pick up either one real fast so I'm banking on some opinions asap. Thanks.
  2. Well the Mesa 400+ is all tube, so it will be able to reach a similar if not higher output volume, it may not be 500 watts RMS, but they state it as 500 watt peak dont they?

300 watt all tube is very loud . . .
  3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Oh man...

I think you win

You'll have less maintanance costs with the 750....that's all I can really come up with as for a reason for one over

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...the 750 just slams...

5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Either would be great, but I'd guess the Mesa would cost quite a bit less. That'd decide it for me.
  6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Do you need balls? If you do the 750 has a good bit more nut. The Mesa has more going on in the upper mids and treble than the lows. I don't find it to be an especially vintagey sound. Also, 300 watts is 300 watts no matter where they're coming from provided the amp has been rated correctly. Eventhough the 750 isn't all tube I find it more tubey sounding than the Mesa which I've played through in many situations. I do like the Mesa though but the Ag is just too good.
  7. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I simply love the combination of the NV215 and the DB750...very varm and focused, great for just laying it down! Probably the best rig I've ever heard...I think the extra wattage of the Db750 opens up the berg 15"....I would love to try a 400+ with the nv215, but I doubt it would be better...

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Big String,

Being that you never replied or got back to me, did you actually break down for a NV215 yet?...

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They are both very excellent choices. However, unless you have a weight issue, I think that the 400+ has a little edge on the tone. They will also be about the same volume, I think the 400+ may have a slight edge in volume as well from my experiences.
  10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The 400+ is nowhere near the 750 in terms of volume.
  11. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    A bass god that I know out here plays an EB MM SR4 through a 400+ & a Powerhouse 1000 cab. That's it... no effects... just that, and he sounds great! However, the guy's so gifted, he could play a Squier bass through a BT108 Ultrabass, and still make it sing... but I aggrandize a bit!

I, however, have a DB750 and play it through an NV215 and a D410XLT. I expect to have an NV425 to pair-up with the NV215, and it should be arriving shortly after Christmas.

Obviously I'm a little biased, as I voted Aggie; however, I like my DB750 for its immense power and simplicity. I play strictly 60s, 70s, and a few 80s classic rock covers, so I feel I don't really need a whole lot of EQ-ing. However, having said that, I did some experimenting last weekend by using the Big Daddy Aggie as a poweramp, and wired-up my Ashdown ABM500 Evo-II as a preamp. The result was veeeery interesting... :eyebrow:
  12. Thank you Gents!
    Dev, I've got the cab I just don't own it yet. I needed to give it one more live test and the owner gracioucly allowed me to do so. The gig is mid Jan.

Plain Ol, I've owned both and I'd have to hear them side by side but I think the DB might have the edge in volume... The 400+ I'm gonna try is actually one I sold to a friend that isn't gigging...

Kee, I've been following your trail on the Ash/DB thing... very cool. I wonder how my TF would sound via the DB for more eq...hmm. Tommix says his Sadowsky onboard is enough.. thats the basses I'm currently using.

Jacove, sounds like you have a new best buddy. That 'warm' thing has me a little concerned though. I like a bit of warmth but to me that doesn't alway make the cut/mix, but I do remember you saying the 215 cuts well but not as much as the 610.

If I just would have hung on to my DB750 a while it wouldn't cost me anything to compare them side by side for as long as I want.... $hitFire. :crying:

Anyway this NV215 is really growing on me. It sounds really good with the TF and a little EQ.
  13. HiYa Smash
    If I remember correctly the Mesa 400+ is like 50lbs. :meh:
  14. The mesa is an all tube head and is ~300 watts RMS at whatever impedance tap is used

and 50 lbs isnt much Big String
  15. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I owned the 400+ for just short of a decade and sold it almost exactly a year ago to a friend...I liked the sound, but honestly I could only get "THE" sound I wanted from it by turning it up thereby enjoying the natural harmonic compression that gives a tube power section it's juicyness...

Unfortunately, my gigging situations don't usually call for that kinda volume, and no matter how much I wanted to believe otherwise, at lower volumes the 400+ didn't really sound any "better" than the GK combo I had also been using.....Honestly thats why I sold the 400+, I couldn't find enough opportunities to let it do what it does best....

Enter the DB 750...
    I could go on and on but since this post is already getting a bit too long let me just say.....
    BigString........Get the DB 750, the 400+ cannot compete in terms of what I perceive to be the kinda use you would put it to....

I have been following your posts/reports on gear for many years now on this board, and with all due respect I have found your insights to be very intuitive and useful.....I remember when you had the 400+(infact didn't you have 2 of em?) , and I remember your comments when you had your DB750...(infact they factored into my descision to buy mine)...

Make no mistake , the 400+ is loud but the DB750 is in a different league in my experience(and they are the 2 major amps I have owned in my adulthood)

Also....While I like the 400+ sound , in my opinion it's a bit of a one trick pony....A GREAT pony, but I am finding the 750 to be very versatile with minor adjustments of the EQ, and the little freq. boost switches are at the right places.....

I have had used the 750 to great effect at combo jazz gigs through a 15 in. cab at lower volumes and had the guys commenting how great my fretless sounded.....more three dimensional and warm.....and mind you I have the volume on like .5 ........

16. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Nothing cuts like NV610...that is the cab, if you want to slice the mix...I love this cab for this reason, and have used it for about 2 years. The NV215 has a buttery warm, but still tight and focused tone...it doesn't cut the mix, but will take you under the mix, think classic soul/r&b tone. It won't be "in your face punch", but a more warm round punch if that makes any a sense. I don't think midrange boost is the only way to be heard in a mix, and you shouldn't really compete with guitar and vocals IMO. Instead you should make room for the other instruments..I guess this is also the beauty of the sadowsky pre-amp for example. It can really make the bass heard and felt at the same time, same thing goes for the NV215 IMO. But it may take some while getting use to the response of 15" speakers...I would say this cab is definetely not for everyone, especially players who tend to play a more modern kind of style...slap, tapping, chords etc. To me it is for trad. fingerstyle and pick playing.

What strikes me is that it sounds great both in front of it and out in a room, something that is a small issue with the NV610.
    If you feel you need to hear yourselves better, just raise it a bit from the floor...I've done that a few times, and it is crystal clear and very defined...

This sounds like a cliche, but I have played 4-5 gigs with this cab by now, and have never had so many compliments on my tone.
  17. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Simply change the brand from Mesa 400+ to Marshall VBA400, and I almost could've written this! My beloved VBA is truly amazing when it gets to be cranked-up, but at low volume... not quite doing it for me... simple as that. Whereas the DB750 will give you that old-syle, distorted sound at reasonably low volume. As with the VBA400, I generally run two 4 Ohm cabs out of my DB750, and in smaller venues, the Aggie still make me sound very big, full, and warm, and I can always keep pace with the 100 watt Marshall over there on the other side of the stage!

I still have my Marshall, but I use my DB750 most all of the time. There are a couple of venues where I will bring the VBA, and they are where she truly gets to sing... 'das why I won't let her go! :bassist:
  18. You guys should just try running your tube heads with smaller or low efficiency cabs, then you can crank and be the correct volume.
  19. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Point... I think... but I don't want to be buying anymore gear...
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Or just play louder... :bassist: