1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

db750 or th500 x2 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by midichlorine, Mar 15, 2013.

1. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    hi guys,
    im currently building a super modular component rig.
    i started out with a db750 and 2 sl112s
    my plan is to get 4 sl112s and use the db750 with any number of cabs for whatever the gig calls for, but now im thinking about just getting 2 th500s!

basically, i play around 5 gigs a week most of which i can get by with a th500 and 2 sl12s but spring and summer is here and ill be doing some outdoor festivals and some minimum touring.
    for the bigger gigs, now im thinking about running all 4 cabs with 2 th500s.
    maybe i could even run 1 head to the bottom 2 cabs and eq them a little more bottom heavy?
    who knows!
    the db750 sounds great, i mean really great! and im sure it would be magical pushing 4 sl112s but i could get close to this with 2 500s right?
    basically its about a 50lb difference with a little more eq.

what do you th500 lovers think?

2. I owned both - tone is similar but. DB750/751 is a bit thicker, fatter, and has more authority to it. TH500 is a bit more mid-rangey and clearer.

In a band setting, you could get convincing tones out of each to mimic eachother.

Big picture - do you want to carry around two lighter amps, or one heavy one?

3. midichlorine

Jun 15, 2005
    thats the thing!
    i dont think it would take any more time to hook up the 2 amps
    but damn nothing sounds like a 750:hyper:

4. You might also check out the ToneHammer Pre driving a light weight power amp. More than enough power, and a ton of versatility to hook up different cabs.

5. midichlorine

Jun 15, 2005
    thought about that too,
    like maybe the th500 and a demeter minnie d

6. That might work too. I have been really impressed with my TH pedal driving my Crest ProLite 3.0.