1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DB750 owners...quick question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fiveightandten, May 4, 2006.

1. I'm going to pick one of these up tomorrow. It's from a private seller. He seems like a trustworthy guy, however, he doesn't have a speaker cab at his place for me to test it out with.

Gives me his word that it's functioning 100%, but I was wondering if it would be safe to power the amp up without a load to see if it goes through the diagnostics ok.

Will this harm the poweramp, or will the amp not pass the startup sequence without a speaker load?

Just curious, as it's really the only thing i'll be able to check until I get it home.

-Nick

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I can't speak to the power up sequence with no speaker, although I remember that question being answered on a recent through.

However.... BRING A CAB and try it out! Well worth the trouble of schlepping... then you'll know for sure!:)

3. I wish I could bring one.

The seller is in the city (THE city being NYC...which goes without saying when you're from CT, but for the uneducated...;) ), and to make a long story short, i'm only going to be in the area because i'm doing my parents a favor and bringing them to the airport to see them off to a vacation.

I won't have enough room in my car to fit all their luggage, the 3 of us, and a bass cab. My little integra could take the luggage and the cab no problem...but i'd have to leave one of the 'rents at home (no back seat), thus negating the main purpose of the trip. Well, THEIR main porpose anyways. ;)

-Nick

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Ah... NYC does change things. I'm sure someone will post and help you out. There was a thread recently talking about the power up issues and if the amp would go through the self test without a load. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes... but someone will post and help you out.

It's a great amp... and built like a tank. I don't own one but have played out of one a few times... heavy! but really nice.... the probability that anything is wrong with a beautifully engineered piece of gear like that is pretty remote.

Good luck!

PM Tom Bowlus if no one responds in time, and he'll give you the scoop. I was at his house when his was delivered!

5. Excellent...thanks for the info!

I highly doubt anything is wrong with it. I going to pay him through paypal to be on the safe side. And i've talked to him on the phone a few times, and i'm picking it up at his house. So i'm sure it's fine. That's just a lot of cash to throw around and drive home with an amp I haven't heard!

The weight is a non issue. I've been using my GK400RB lately (which is normally my backup amp). But i'm coming from a late 70's SVT over to the Aggy. The SVT in the roadcase was about 100lbs. I figure the Aggy weighs 70lbs tops in the rack case he has it in.

-Nick

6. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    i blew one at work the other day. smoke any everything.

anyways i'd say bring a computer, and plug it into that. keep the volume really low, and use your computer speakers

7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Check it.

After you drop the 'rents off stop by sam ash or guitar center and buy a pos bass cab for cheap.

Go to dueguys house and try it out.

After you buy the head, return the cab within the day.

A little on the not so honest side, but it does work,
    I'm not saying its the right thing to do, but it is a thing to do.

Good luck.

8. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    It will go through diagnostics without being attached to a speaker.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

He's got a good point. I've done stuff like that before. As long as they don't have a restocking fee...you're golden. Or you can take the DB750 to a local shop. You can tell the people that you are trying out cabs, but you want to try it out with "your head". ask him to go with you if he feels uncomfortable. If he's buying Aguilar, then he has to be smart :smug: and if he's smart, he most likely sensible enough to realize that you wouldn't want to buy an amp "unheard".

That's like buying a bass with never playing it before....and we all know, none of us do that... :D :bag:

10. Exactly what I needed to know...Thanks! I'm assuming this won't harm the power amp if it's just for a second and there's no signal running through it?

...Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, I thought about going to 48th St and just lugging it into one of the shops to "test out cabs" ;) Navigating in the city is just such a freaking nightmare...then parking, and lugging a 70lb amp down the street. By the time I get it into a music store...I could probably be at home with it. I only live an hour and a half away.

I'll have to sleep on this. Thanks again everyone.

-Nick

11. +1 No problems running without a load.

12. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    +1...DAcat:cool:

13. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I just powered mine without a load passed in 34 seconds.

14. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    As usual, Smash is entirely right. I've used it in the studio twice for 10-12 hours at a time without a load. No probs of any kind.

15. Sweet. I appreciate you taking one for the team. Well, checking it out for the team. ;)

Thanks man...i'm sure it'll go down smooth. The guy seems like a nice dude. I'm pretty excited to get it down to practice this weekend and check it out with the band.

Wow...see, i'm used to tube amps. My little GK is the only solid state amp i've owned, and that was just as a backup usually. I'm used to warmup times, and matching impedances...and checking bias peroidically...retubing once a year...you know the drill.

But the tone is definitely there on these amps without the tube poweramp. I was taken aback when I played one in the shop a while back...sold me right then and there.

At any rate...thanks again for all the help everyone. I'll definitely either bump this back up or start another thread when I get her back home tomorrow.

And I'm a bit of a tech head myself (been working on tube amps for years)...so don't be surprised if there are some chassis pics in said thread. ;)

-Nick

16. Well, I met up with him and picked up the Aggy. It works fine!

The SKB rack case it's in has seen better days (as he described), but I ordered a shockmount Angstrom case for it today. Should be here sometime this week.

A full report and pics after I take her down to practice this weekend and give her a test drive with the band. We're recording some songs in 2 weeks, and have a number of gigs lined up. This amp couldn't have fallen into my lap at a better time.

Thanks again for all the help, gentlemen.

-Nick

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Being a SS output section, I'd be inclined to believe that it is entirely safe to power it up without a load, and my guess is that it would go through the self-diagnosis successfully, but I am not positive, as I have not tried this (and the 750 is somewhat "buried" right now!).

Tom.

Edit: I see that your problem has been solved! Congrats!

18. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yeah, yeah, I too, hate it when thousands of dollars worth of gear is stuck behind thousands more. It's a problem I encounter quite often. :D