1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB750 with THREE GS112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I am in the process of trying out different cab combos with my newly acquired DB750. I have a GS410 and a GS112. I saw a picture of someone, maybe Willis using a DB750 with three GS112's. Have any of you tried that? I remember someone on TB posting that they used a GS212 and two GS112's and that it sounded awesome and was modular. Wondering how that would compare to the GS410 etc...

2. If you don't mind hauling all that stuff around, to me, three 112's and the DB750 is a very cool idea:

1) The 2.67 impedance results in big power from the DB750, but also doesn't result in it running at the very limits of its safety rating

2) For the 'vertical array' fans, that linear stack of three 112's is a text book example of how speakers should be configured.

3) That top speaker should be great for stage monitoring

4) The ratio of tweeters to drivers at 'one to one' will allow you to run all the tweeters on but at a low level. It's subtle, but I've round that a more integrated voicing than a single tweeter cranked with a bunch of drivers (small issue, but cool anyway).

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    The three GS112's sound cool to me as well. I have been using the Walkabout with 2 12 Scout cabs for years with excellent results and thought the three GS112/s would give me a lot of flexibility and a lot of oomph when needed. The 2 Scout cabs did a wonderful job of stage monitoring as well, I would think three 112's would be awesome.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have three Bag End S15-D's which I stack vertically and often run with my DB659 + poweramp - the triple stack is a very cool setup - it's modular, you can move some air, small footprint, and it's the perfect height. Give it a whirl!

JR

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I say go for it.

One of the cool features of the 750 is three (or four) 8 ohm speakers.

I should be getting my second PJB 4B this week, and I'm thinking of another...

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This subject comes up every now and then. Here's a pic of my rig when I used 3 GS112s. I was using a sansamp BDDI for a preamp into a stereo power amp. I powered the top two speakers with one side of the power amp and the bottom speaker with the other side of the power amp. So when I was in a boomy room, I was able to turn down the bottom speaker to reduce boomyness. Worked pretty good but I got tired of hauling 3 speaker cabs around. These days I'm using 2 GS112s with a markbass LMII. If I ever need more firepower, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to that setup.
    3AGrig1.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    That's the "Gary Willis" rig. If you do some youtube searches, there a several videos of him using exactly that.

8. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Great Rig. At my last gig there wasn't much stage space so I stacked my two GS112s on their sides, on top of each other, then put my 2x10 vertical on top of those. Amp sat sideways on the floor next to the stack. I finally understand what JimmyM means about vertical cab stacking, when you get a cab up by your ear you can hear yourself perfectly. This is why I want a GS412--there was one on craigslist here recently but I didn't have the cash to grab it, I was so bummed!

9. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Three or four (for an even load) Bag End S12-B cabs (sans any tweeter/horns) still rock my own private world on-stage. However logistics,(read load in/load out) still prevail. Besides, it's a pain to have to un-rack/mount my, curent fave, M6 Carbine from the its combo config, and cart in/out sans head - cover, or haul a preamp and a couple of MacIntosh tube amps to a gig.

However, as always, YMMV.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR