Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB924 into QSC PLX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The Aguilar websiite doesn't say what the output of the DB924 is, but I'm sure someone here has tried running one direct into a power amp. Does it put out enough with it's EQ flat to run a PLX?? I've converted it over to AC with an 18 volt wall wart and it hasn't fried itself yet. Will it work as a real preamp, or do I have to spend $995 for the real thing??

2. jmic

jmic

Dec 7, 2006
    Merced, CA
    Bump for an old message, but clearly for my situation. I am looking for a preamp and the DB924 is on my watch list. I also am running a PLX3002.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man, buy yourself a used DB659 and a 1-U softcase or something, and you'll have that PLUS! :)

Think there's one for sale right now actually in the Classifieds. They've been coming up recently for some reason, but are d/c'd, so I'd grab one while ya can! :) Love mine!

If I ever gravitate to a DB750, I'm gonna do just that with this one, and use it as a killer tube DI in an easy-to-transport way.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

i have a DB924, but i use it to convert my passive jazz to active. i wouldn't actually substitute it for a preamp. Just IMHO.

5. jmic

jmic

Dec 7, 2006
    Merced, CA
    Dang, it just sucks that I'm short on cash. I just happen to have lots of great power amps lying around because I'm also a DJ. :)

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    You could use a gain boost pedal or a comp peadal (ebs, demeter, etc) to boost the signal. If you have a rackmount comp arround try it to see how you like it before you go buy a comp pedal.

Personaly, I would save up and do what rockstarbassist said. Good luck.:cool:

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Well from what I've seen, there's actually only about $150 difference.

Most 924's I see are around the U5 range, which is $400-500. 659's can be had from $500-600 usually.

I say "only", but for the difference in features, it's definitely worth the step up!! :)

8. The DB924 is an outboard version of their OBP-1 preamp. It sounds great but was never designed to take the place of a rack pre. If I remember correctly it is unity gain in the flat position. At best it is a small boost that is nowhere near enough to drive a power amp. I know........I tried!

The previous poster must have the DB924 confused with something else. They go for $179 brand new. I sold mine a couple of years ago for $110 and made someone a happy camper! :hyper:

The DB924 is great at what it does. Unfortunately it is not well suited for the OP's task.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Oops, I think I was referring to the DB900 or the all-tube Jensen DI! :)

My bad!

10. Yep! The DB900 DI is probably a tasty item (never tried it) but alas, it is not a DB924. FIFTY LASHES!!!! :spit:

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah, well I've still got my 659... Bring it!! :bag: :bag:

12. How much does a DB924 go for in the US? Ive got access 2 one here & I'm thinkin of using it as a pre for my EUB-cheapo Palatino- i.e. ripping out stck one & using the AGGie DB924??? Anyone have any ideas of how thiss'll work?

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i got mine for $120 used. They are great outboard preamps. I use mine with a passive jazz to boost the signal and it gives me some more flexibility tonally.

i don't know how it would working putting it in your bass. If you wanted to do that, i would just get a Aguilar OBP-1,2 or 3. Those are the Onboard Preamps. They are cheaper too.