Dbase w/Shayds of Gray @ private garden party 5/25/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dbase, May 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Well we got a paying gig in a nice neighborhood for 50th b-day party. This will be an acoustic gig since our drummer couldn't attend. We worked up some acoustic numbers to add to our usual mix and played a one hour set of 11 songs.
    Of course I'm always the 1st one there so it's just my lonely bass and notebook... we had no back line, just playing thru the PA.
    20180525_183319.jpg
    Just pickup up a pair of wireless remotes for the bass... Although they worked well at home, the guitar player also has a set so I think we were using the same channel and didn't have time to adjust so we went back to trusty instrument cords.
    20180525_152923.jpg

20180525_204926.jpg
    NO amps to show
    We used two of these big monitors for FOH
    20180525_202353.jpg
    20180525_202417.jpg
    20180525_202401.jpg
    20180525_202412.jpg
    20180525_203330.jpg
    The side porch made an excellent stage.

Let me explain the food.. High class neighborhood, no burgers or hot dogs but below you have fried plantains, two types of pulled pork, sauteed chicken gizzards, and rice with carrots.
    20180525_204423.jpg

Salad, marinated shrimp and scallops in a lime sauce and roast port, grilled pineapple
    20180525_204428.jpg

20180525_204907.jpg
    Bon Apetit.... the last dish was mine to show the wife I didn't pig out on the food. but I did have the chicken bbq rubbed wings and stuffed beef rolls. Dont tell her.

Audio:

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Bill!

Excellent! I love these cushy gigs with not a lot of gear to schlep, good food, nice atmosphere. Cool man, cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

McG, Rebel Rocker, HolmeBass and 3 others like this.
  3. A nice easy set, good food, and a lack of noisy drummer that didn't leave your ears ringing.

A win in every area!

4. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Thanks Cliff... I added two acoustic songs .. give me an honest assessment. They are thinking of doing more of these songs.

McG and nixdad like this.
  5. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Yes .. you noticed. my ears weren't ringing at the end of the night

McG, covermego, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Atta Boy, dbase!! (Way to proceed w/o drummer!). That looks like a nice Precision - but I figured you'd be playing that Ric of yours. Nice food shots, but HEY!! Where's the band in action???? ;):cool:

McG, mwbonsall, dbase and 2 others like this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Mmmmm, food.
    Good gig.

dbase, Spidey2112 and nixdad like this.
  8. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I've been using the Xvive system as well, with somewhat mixed results. I've run into interference problems on a couple of stages with lighting systems, but it's unusual, always a surprise in that it doesn't show up till after soundcheck (when the lights come on?), and I haven't had a good opportunity to switch channels and retest.

McG and dbase like this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Looks like a great get together, for all, @dbase! Keep up the great work!

jamro217, McG and dbase like this.
  10. Yay!!!

Tony In Philly and dbase like this.
  11. Now I'm hungry again! Looks like a good gig!

McG and dbase like this.
  12. That’s the kind of gig that can be worth doing for free- but glad you got paid anyway. Sweet!

McG and dbase like this.
  13. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Wow - looks like a great party gig. You guys sounded great too! What town in South Jersey was it in?

McG and dbase like this.
  14. Looks like a great time was had!

15. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Haddonfield

16. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Ha! I figured that it was likely Haddonfield based on the very oppulent looking older house and general upscale appearance of the party, but I didn't want to make assumptions. Nice place!

dbase likes this.
  17. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You go where the money is .. ;)

Tony In Philly and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I'm missing a gig like that tonight because of my stupid job.
    Blast!!!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    ... and still paying the bills. Next week, my brother!

pablomago and Inky13 like this.
  20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice gig Bill. I haven't played a private party in years. I remember the food usually being a highlight. It sure was for yours. :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about trying the Xvive wireless system. Certainly attractively priced and no wireless pack on the strap. I'd be the only one using one so no issues with channel conflicts. However the interference issues @Steven Ayres experienced is what's holding me back.

As far as the songs: You Wrecked Me sounded good. Your vocalist was struggling with pitch some on Overkill. But it sounds like a difficult song to sing (says the guy who can't sing a lick :laugh:.

I vote for more acoustic songs. They offer a different dynamic during an otherwise electric show. Plus I love how easy they are on the ears. :)

dbase likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021