Dbase w/The Lazy Eyed Blues Band @ Brookhaven Fundraiser 9/10/17

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dbase, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Packed the trunk with one cab but never used it.

20170910_103042.jpg Headed out on rt 295 south to Commodore Barry bridge to Penna. Sunday.. no traffic.
    20170910_103433.jpg 20170910_105838.jpg
    Venue was changed from the large building in the background to the parking lot outside because the floors were getting refinished. Was a nice day 75 and sunny.
    20170910_105901.jpg
    They did provide a drum riser, Tim adjusting the sound on his wireless PA mixer
    20170910_123635.jpg
    Wireless PA controller

20170910_123741.jpg
    Keyboards
    20170910_144747.jpg
    View without the audience. they did show up.... trust me
    20170910_123846.jpg
    Hot roast beef sandwich with potato salad, mac & cheese smothered with potato chips.
    20170910_143208.jpg
    It was so good I had two to go.

20170910_143144.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Jimmy4string, Mike N, nixdad and 25 others like this.
  2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Now, I'm hungry!! Nice starburst off of the car window!

-robert

nixdad, McG and dbase like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. dbase,

I see that plate. Four carbs, one protein, and the only vegetable is the two peppers on the sandwich. And I'll bet you took those off. ;)

Don't tell me. Your client hooked you up with a stage that was just the size of a drum riser. Yep, it happens all the time. :D

It looked like a pleasant outing. Thanks for the pictures!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. Great gig and great bass. So you went without amp?

5. Thanks dbase. Looks like a great gig in great weather, with good food! Love your bass.

Mark

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks @dbase ! Hope the gig went well, and...

... nice bass, of course!

7. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You know me too well...but I did eat my vegtables. ;)

8. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Yes. No amp, left it in the trunk.. I hate playing thru the pa. I'd rather use a bass amp otherwise it sounds like Muzak everyone blended in the mix. I guess I'm a dinosaur.

9. If you're a dinosaur, you're not a T-Rex cause your arms would be too short to.......ohhh,never mind.

Very nice gig report! You guys are getting too good at gig reports. I'm definitely gonna have to up my game.

Those sandwiches looked great BTW.

Charles

nixdad, dbase and McG like this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice report Mr. Bill. When I saw the first pic with the drum riser I thought it was the stage you all had to set up on :woot:

Outdoor gigs on beautiful weather days are nice!

Oh, and the Ric... meh. (Just kidding. You know I love that bass :))

nixdad and dbase like this.
  11. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That's about the only thing that's good in the picture, my bass... I am ashamed to post the audio... I made so many mistakes, the bands timing was way off, endings were sloppy etc etc... We practiced for this gig for months and when we get to play out we crashed and burned.. Could be the bees that were flying around and landing on my headstock, arms etc.. I had to swoosh them away while playing or maybe its different playing outside.. cant hear everyone the same as being indoors, windy day was blowing sheet music all over the place .. or maybe I just sucked. ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    It's all about the food... not the bass ;)

nixdad and McG like this.
  13. Well done my friend!

(The whole deal, not just the layering of food in the last pic.)

nixdad and McG like this.
  14. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    What kind (model) of hand truck do you have?

15. Nice pics, even if there is no gratuitous shots of hotties in the audience.

nixdad, BassManKK and dbase like this.
  16. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    nixdad likes this.
  17. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    there were no hotties to speak of .. believe me . ;)

18. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Hey Grant .. Can you believe this? We played so badly in my opinion yesterday that I just wanted to go away and hide. Now the band gets this email from the organizer....

I wanted to thank all of you for the wonderful playing and singing yesterday. You guys are really good!! I received a couple of emails saying how attendees commented that the band is really good! In fact, they want to plan some events over the next year and have you play again. I was asked if you play country music and 50s music. ???

It was a wonderful day, and I hope you had a good time doing it.

LMAO Just goes to show you that most people don't have a musical ear. Plus if you do one gig for free as a favor to the organizer, they want more free gigs ;)

GregC, Jimmy4string, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  19. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Playing outdoors really is different. As you said, the sound, wind, bugs... all distractions. I remember one time a very "friendly" wasp decided to do his best to distract me :woot: He did a good job of it :laugh:

Man, is that true about most people not having an ear. There's a point of suckyness where it's not just a little off. Recordings always let you know. We've all had those terribly rough evenings where after people are telling you how great you sounded. :rollno:

20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Bill,

We as musicians are almost always our own worst critics.

I've met some incredible musicians who are so humble and kind and always apologizing for not doing a better job. And I'm, like, floored after working with them.

Then I've met other musicians who know how incredible they are, they make sure they tell everyone how incredible they are, they want to be treated like royalty, but they can't play their way out of a well-lubricated 12-bar blues.

I'm sure you are among the first group. (I've heard your recordings.) Take the accolades, practice a little more, then go back and really show them! (And maybe talk about compensation for next time.) :)

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, Spidey2112 and dbase like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022