Dbase w/ The Lazy Eyed Blues Band Corporate Xmas party, now with Video

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dbase, Dec 15, 2017.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Well we are back each year at a nice Country Club for their Corporate Xmas party.. Snow started at load in and it was snowing heavily on load out. Lucky for me its only 2 miles to my house.
    We were using our new Bose PA instead of the big heavy 15" JBL speakers and monitors that we had to lug around. This time. No monitors, just the PA behind the band. You could hear everything. No back-line, the entire band was plugged into the PA and it sounded great.
    20171215_132056.jpg
    20171215_132109.jpg
    20171215_132123.jpg
    20171213_155354.jpg
    !st time using my tablet.. no more books.
    20171215_130502.jpg
    20171215_135453.jpg
    Now to the best part .. the food.
    20171215_141820.jpg
    20171215_141838.jpg
    Now with video

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Very cool Bill. Two guitars, two vocals, keys and bass through the ultra light PA. Awesome! :thumbsup:

All that food too! You were in dbase heaven. drool

3. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Wow. Really professional looking set up. My wife and I did over 300 acoustic duo shows with our bose system down in Florida. Mostly restaurants and tieke bars. Sounded amazing everywhere we played.

nixdad, McG and dbase like this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wow! VERY cool!! Pretty professional looking group ya' got there, if I do say so myself!! (But who's that guy on bass, by the way??!) ;) (Which is to say, you don't look anything like your avatar....)

mwbonsall, Lvjoebass, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi bbase :)

hope you didn' t catch a cold, walking that far? :D

That Bose stuff looks like a nobrainer, for small gigs like this :thumbsup: (less gear = more time to eat)

And I see that you put your drummer in a cage. That' s really professional (security comes first)!!! :laugh:

thanx for sharing :bassist:

have a nice weekend

Wise

pablomago, nixdad, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  6. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You didn't notice the 1st song on my tablet .. Ventura Highway .. for the California crowd. ;)

7. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Thanks, was going through withdrawal symptoms due to the dearth of gig reports lately.

It looks like if those Bose PA speakers aren't out on a gig, it can double up as a coat and hat hanger! :thumbsup:

Wisebass, dbase and McG like this.
  8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA

No, I didn't notice. Nice nod to the poor folks up there (I'm about a hundred miles south). This morning the fire was at 395 square miles. More wind forecast for the weekend so it will continue to grow. It will end up being the largest fire in state history. I have friends in Santa Barbara, just a few miles from the fire. They have had toxic air for over a week.

Been reading about the winter weather in the east. Hope you're holding up ok with the cold and snow. I can't imagine hauling gear through snow. :woot: But then I'm a spoiled So Cal guy ;)

9. @dbase Thanks for the gig report. What app do you use for the music on your iPad? Does it come with music or do you have to buy the songs separately?

nixdad and dbase like this.
  10. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I use Setlist Helper on a Samsung Galaxy 12" Android tablet. It displays the text and places the bass notes just above the words. You can change the font, color etc. You can also attach PDF files of sheet music to the song list as well as music files. When you select a song you can listen to it in advance at practice.You can access it on a tablet, phone, computer. The data is stored on their site. Apple also has a nice program for Ipads but I refuse to pay $1200 for an Apple product. I use Ultimate Guitar, E-chords.com and Chordify to find the songs and chords, then I use a Song formatter program for Ukuleles(on web) to convert it and paste it into Setlisthelper. Then I play the song via Youtube to be sure the notes are in the correct place and then it's done. You can also print it out if you are using a paper songbook. It's busy work but I'm retired. ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    SWRnut, OCDave, Wisebass and 4 others like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    @dbase, enjoyed the gig report, as well as the video...

... based on one of your most recent threads, if I had more time, and resources, an ominous, green cloud could have been strategically placed in the video, post exterior, enveloping both the drummer and patrons...

... but I don't have the time, nor the resources...

Wisebass, McG and dbase like this.
  12. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Notice the Plexiglas partition protecting the drummer .. He 'Built the Wall"

Bunk McNulty, Wisebass, McG and 4 others like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    'Bullet' proof? :laugh:... you know what happens when you lose at the Fart Game? :laugh:

Wisebass and McG like this.
  14. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Was there any feedback issues/tweaking you had to do with that behind all your instruments/mics?

Looks like an awesome portable setup, didnt even know Bose had a version with a little mixer!

Now I want one and don't even have a good use for it... :D

dbase likes this.
  15. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    No feedback and you can hear everything with the unit behind the band..no need for monitors.. Cost is $2300 That's the small unit with one 10" sub. you can get a twin 10 sub.. some bands have two complete PA units. It packs up in three cloth carrying cases.
    This is the bigger unit Bose L1 Model II with B2 Bass Module and ToneMatch

16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice report, Bill! It appeared to be a nice, cozy gig with good eats.

We appreciate the nod. GREAT song, BTW, with a fantastic Joe Osborn bass part.

dbase and McG like this.
  17. I have a friend that calls the drummer baffle "The Sneeze Guard."

The recording sounds good on my laptop speakers. I can only imagine how it sounded in the room. Well done, Sir! Got to get in the buffet line now...

dbase and McG like this.
  18. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    awesomeness plus

dbase and McG like this.
  19. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Very nice!! Looks like a great fun gig. Sound was very good for cell phone video so I'm sure it was much better in person. Love the gear and set up.

Mark

nixdad, dbase and McG like this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Bill!!

I like everything about this gig except the vertical video. ;) You guys even sound good. That PA is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021