Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 120A vs. Aphex 204

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm putting together a rack mount system for the 1st time, and part of that is enhancing my lows. I'd looked at the Aphex 204 Aural Exciter, and this morning came across the DBX 120A. Since most of the reviews I'm seeing are "colored", I thought I'd see what you all think. What's your $0.02??? Has anyone else compared the two?

Thanks a lot for your input, I'm seeing more and more usefulness out of TalkBass all the time!

Seasons Greetings,
    Joe

:bassist:

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    They are completely different units. The dbx creates an additional note an octave below what you're playing (over a limited range) and the Aphex is basically a highly specialized eq that adds sparkle to the highs and ooomph to the lows.

Unless you are running a biamp rig or a line out to a serious PA w/ subs, I'd say go w/ the Aphex, or their competitor BBE who uses a different process to get a similar effect. I prefer BBE.