1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dbx 120XP/A ,mods possible and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexlotta, Apr 16, 2009.

1. alexlotta

alexlotta

Jul 1, 2005
    Triest,italy
    HI , I did scroll already around but i have a bit of different question

i'm letting do a clone of that unit by a Tech ,possibly in form of pedal,as i feel i can really like what it does ,not fancying so much the normal Octavers.

Apart the footswitch which should be an easy task,
    That unit is also known to be dangerous for speakers If You abuse of that .

-*SO i'm asking what kind of precaution In form of Mod could i add to that UNit, to let the thing be a sort of effect in a pedal chain.Some kind of limiting internally the gain of the dangerous Frequencies for example,or a compression?.

--**Secondly ,i was thinking..could a sort of Crossover be added before the synth,
    in the way to get just the low notes processed (say from B-low to A for example ) ,thous having "normal" bass sound during higher zones (passage ,scales and so on) and Synth-superlow triggered by walking on the first frets?
    This would avoid the otherwise unavoidable "octaver" effect .
    _________

I'm trying to figure out using a Vst Plugin (named "the edge",is freeware and really easy to use) and what it does could be really Cool ,if blended correctly .
    But i notice that on higher notes ,expecially if hard-picked ,it let "escape" some processing also giving octave like sound.

---***Third , What If some sort of drive/distortion can be added to the Sub-Synth-sound alone,
    and what could be expected in terms of usability?
    ...Better explained:I mean ,
    I thought at first th. Adding dist/drive to lows could just mess everything ,as i see many bassists (me too on some recordings) driving or distorting just the higher frequencies (I did also just on highs rarely on a separate channel,on studio recordings).For the sake of focused sound also(i'm not a Fuzzyuy at all)

..but then i did read that some producers use to do that kind of Doubling/and Distorting-"SUB_LOws" (thous very low frequencies, lower than what you would'nt want to distort ) channels in studio ,
    to add Thickness to Bass or Drums (hip-pop and Dub productions i assume,but i'm aiming at a sort of "fear factory/Darkmoor" sound selectable by a footswich ).
    I did read that, by looking for info on those subharmonic synths on some studio-forums (gearslutz or something).
    I could ask the guy to add drive/dist internally ,first or before the processed sound.
    __
    What are Your Thoughts about?

2. alexlotta

alexlotta

Jul 1, 2005
    Triest,italy
    Bumpz any tip?

3. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i have no suggestions but have been wanting to try one these. haven't due to the lack of footswitch and fear of blowing yet more speakers with the amount of above unity gain effects i use.