Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 120xp subharmonic synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tiny Tim, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I have seen more than one person say that they are using one.Do you use it to replace an octave pedal or ? I am woundering were in your signal chain do you use it, Can you run it thru an effects loop or after you amp befor your cabnet. How does it track compaired to a octave pedal. I have a SWR 2004 head and a Carvin 4-10 cabnet would it damage the cabnet even when used at a low setting just to ad some fatness or is it better to run it's own sub. Thanks in advance! Tiny Tim

2. Fx loop. More subtle than an octaver. Polyphonic. Will blow your cab if you're not careful. Great for fattening your sound and adding depth. Sounds huge.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Ditto what MS said - use it in the EFX loop, it's line level. You can get sick dublike tones, especially if you roll off the highs. Almost sounds like a synth bass when fully on. It's more subtle than a dedicated octaver pedal, the octave notes don't sound as distinct but it's a fuller effect.

WARN YOUR SOUNDMAN: I have blown subs in a club when I kicked this thing in full tilt (I have a midi controlled efx loop, and don't use the synth full time.) I did warn the club's sound guy ahead of time, so I didn't feel guilty - but the dbx's ability to drive cones to their limits has been tested quite effectively by my rig. :D

4. Actually...my fav synth-dub-subharmonic effect of late has seriously been my junkie $25 DOD FX25. That and the DBX together will move the booty of even the most sedentary hippie. I had Mark's setup at one point of the DBX, PV Analog filter and the DMC/GCX stuff. Midi started to turn my head inside out after a while so I kinda moved away from that.The DBX and the PV at the same time tho'...yikes! I wouldn't want to be around for when the soundman heard you kick that in! Moving that much air at once is just too much fun. I love dub.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, mark....where've you been? welcome back, man...

6. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Been in and out. stopped visiting here for a while, don't know why. Probably because I have been focusing a lot on my expensive new hobby - RC Cars. :)

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've got a buddy that just got into that....he got a .71 monster pirate or some such...grief

sorry to hijack this...

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    6&8 stringer- I see you're using an ADA MB-1. I've considered buying one for the tonal flexibility, but I'm a little concerned about not being able to get a good organic tone out of it. (digital gear scares me)
    Give me the run-down on this thing.

9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Love it, adore it... I finally found "my" sound and don't have to buy more gear.

It's not really a digital amp (like the POD Pro, for instance.) It's simply a solid state amp (with a tube preamp) that has a digitally controlled front end. And the interface isn't tough to figure out and doesn't have a lot of menus. In fact, it really doesn't have ANY menus.

My favorite setting is flat eq, no compression, all tube pre, no efx... it just sounds "right." I also can get plenty of heavily effected and unusual sounds out of it.

Get Ruby tubes for it if you can find them. It made a world of difference in mine.

The only downside is that ADA doesn't exist anymore (their factory burned to the ground quite a while ago and they just folded rather than re-tool.)

10. Was that why?? Wow...I had no idea. A fairly dramatic end huh?

11. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Yeah, they were selling a good number of amps and had a good budget - look at EVERY ISSUE of bass player before ADA crashed and (literally) burned - they were on the back cover of every issue. They didn't go out of business because they weren't selling...

At least, this is my understanding - correct if I'm wrong.

12. The ADA MP-1 is probably the most popular guitar preamp of all time, and ADA's line of stompboxes--especially the flanger and chorus--are prized.

It's a shame.

13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yea, I had the chance to use an old ADA Flange in the studio once. It had a great big 3-d sound. I loved it.

14. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Back to the topic at hand, the dbx:

Check out this thread for links to mp3's so you can hear what the dbx sounds like - check out the tune "The Silent Giants."

15. I sometimes wonder if I just wouldn't be better off with an Alembic Superfilter for a subharmonic boost...have you ever had the chance to try one of those Mark?

16. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Never tried one. I was happy with the dbx from the first day I bought it, so I didn't confuse myself by checking out the alternatives. ;) :D

17. Methinks you're onto something there Gollihur...

18. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Might we finally have discovered the cure for GAS?

:eek: ;)

19. Naaaaaaww. Why the heck would I want that? :D