Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 160A Compressor with a RB1001-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luke Sheridan, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Probably a simple answer, but I'm confused...
    When using a DBX 160A Compressor with a RB1001-II head, what is the proper way to wire the units?

Do I plug the bass into the compressor's Input and then run that Output to the RB's instrument in?

Do I run the speaker output from the RB to the compressor's In and the compressor's Out to the speakers?

Do send the effectsloop to the compressors input and then the compressors output to the Return?

This is all a bit confusing as the RB only offers front effects outputs and instrument inputs. Which makes for very messy cableing in a rack.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'd use the effects loop...do NOT use the speaker outputs, wrong signal level and you'll fry something up, for sure. Yeh, it's messy, that's the drawback of the GK and some other amps with the loop jacks on the front, but it's still a killer amp and you should get some sweet sounds with that set up. What cabs are you using?

3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Thanks, its all a bit confusing and I'm about to order a new rack case, which will now have to be 5 spaces to accomodate the wiring.
    I'll be using a Schroeder 410.