Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 160a in 400+ effects loop, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Droog, May 4, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Going to get my self a compressor some time in the next couple months. I am pretty sure I am going to get a DBX 160a, I used one in the studio this weekend and I think I am sold. I have decided that I don't want a pedal based compressor as I like having the ability to drive the pre with my fingers. That being said, I tend to be a bit dynamic, in good and bad ways. So I want to place a compressor between my pre and power amp. The 400+ has an effects loop with a blend pot. The manual says that when cranked all the way to 10, 100% of the signal from the pre passes through to effects send. This is fefinately what I want to happen. I was wondering if anybody around here has done this or something similiar.

Thanks.

2. I do it with my DBX 163x comp. I go fx send to comp in, comp out to a bbe 262 sonic max, to fx return. Blend at 10. I love it and really miss it when the loop is turned off.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Right on! Glad to hear some one else has success doing this. Now I just gotta find a good deal on a 160.

Thanks!

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Get a 160X- much cheper and I have heard many say that the parts and build is of a higher quality than the 160A although I can't confirm that myself.

Ted

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, actually the one I used in the studio was a 160x, they show up on ebay periodically, about $200 or so usually. Thanks for the tip, I think I will track down an X.