Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dbx 160A question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by A Rock, Jan 11, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    right now i have the compressor hooked up to the Fx Loop with my SWR Bass750.

There is not input for a guitar in the front so i thought this was the best way to do it.

do i have any other options?

2. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    You got it right. Just put the blend knob all the way to "wet".

3. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    yup thats what i did...but i was just reading other threads and they said not to put a compressor on an effects loop so i wasnt sure if i was doing the right thing.

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    about where to put a compressor in my signal chain, and the folks whose advice I value recommens plugging my bass into the compressor first, then wouth the signal into my Preamp. The theory being that the intent is for the signal to reach the preamp free of spikes. Which, if you think about it, makes sense. The trade off is that I now plug my bass in to the back of my rack and I have another cord coming into the front. A little unkept from time to time. I'm thinkingabout dumping the entire compressor concept. I survived this long without one. Not sure yet. YMMV

5. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    see thats the prob...i dont wanna go behind the rack.

so i guess my way is the next best thing...why dont they make inputs in the front:confused:

6. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    The signal level of your bass might not be compatible with the input of the compressor. The line level present at the effects loop was specifically intended for gear such as the 160A. Also, I THINK that the effects loop on SWR heads are inserted between the preamp and poweramp sections. Anyway, spiking the preamp section is not the major concern...it's the poweramp that you don't want to clip. I would definately use the effects loop for the compressor. If your preamp is clipping too much for you taste, turn down the gain. (Remember that the gain will also effect the level at the effects send jack.)

7. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

Based on this, and the fact that I don't have the combo head, I have separate pre and power amp, would you still recommend I use the Compressor in the FX loop of my Alembic F1X before I send the signal to my Power Amp? Or insert it between them? Since as you say, the goal is to prevent power spikes to my power amp. But correct me if I'm wrong with some research/documentation, but spiking the pre over time can do some damage as well, can't it?