Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 160a users only

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Oct 4, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm in my second day of having my newly acquired 160a compressor installed in my rack. It's the first compressor that I've owned and, although the manual suggests some settings, I'd be more inclined to seek advice from you "real world" players. So........

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT SETTING(S) YOU USE ON YOURS, and the perceived results.

BTW, I have it running through the fx loop of an SVT-3 Pro and I play blues and classic rock mostly.

Many thanks, Tony Noriega, Tampa

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i use a dbx 262 (discontinued)
    it's not the same sound quality as the 160A but has the exact same interface.
    I set the threshold wherever the compressor only gets activated ocasionally to a max of about 3db or so, select hard knee compression (over easy off), set the ratio at about 3:1, and the output level at 0 (twelve o'clock)

3. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    IvanMIke:

I have the same unit, running mono into one speaker. Do you have the "stereo couple" button in? Why do you prefer hard knee to soft knee?

Just curious :D

Scott

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'd only put the stereo couple button in if you were linked to another 160A and running the pair in stereo. I prefer soft knee. I think the compression is a little less obvious when the unit "sneaks" into compression mode.

JGbassman likes this.