Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dbx 160A vs 166XL

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hgupta, May 26, 2005.

1. hgupta

hgupta

Jun 5, 2002
    Memphis
    I was loaned a DBX 166XL for a while and loved it, but then had to give it back. It occupied a 1U rack space, and I am debating on filling that space with another 166XL or getting a 160A instead. One of the things I loved about the 166XL is that it boosts the sustain. Does the 160A do that as well? Any other recommendations on rack mount compressors that add sustain? I only use 1 channel, going into an SWR STudio 220, and for a thick rock sound.

2. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    I use the 160A and couldn't be happier. It is a really punchy and dynamic compressor that loves percusive and low sounds. The 160A is one of the top 2 or 3 compressors enigneers reach for in the studio when recording/mixing bass, with the other 2 costing thousands. The 160A is not transparent and it does color your sound slightly, but it just sounds good/right. Much better than a 166 IMO. Very plug and play........

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use the 160X, which is the precursor to the HK made 160A. I agree with everything but one thing, and that is that is colors your sound. I don't find that to be the case unless you are using some more of the exreme settings to "squash" your bass.

Ted

4. hgupta

hgupta

Jun 5, 2002
    Memphis
    Don't get me wrong, I really want the 160A, my only concern is that it does not have the release knob like the 166xl does. Does the 160A have the sustain boosting capabilities of the 166XL?

Thanks

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Most definately.

The compressor is a better one that what is found in the 166. I use mine mainly for speaker protection thouigh. I would buy a use 160X though. There is one for sale for $175 (average price) here at TB. Many more experienced studio engineers told me that the 160X is made of better component than the 160A, but I can't confirm that personally.

The release knob is for the gating function. The 160A or 160X isn't a gate. But if you have decent geer, you don't really need it.

Ted