1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dbx 160x, am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carvinbassplyr, Aug 24, 2012.

1. So I've had this for a while now and started really messing with it. I've noticed that even with a threshold of -40dB I'm only getting a blip from the gain reduction meter and very mild compression in regular or over easy mode. I'm led to believe this should nit be the case. I'm hooked up preamp send-1/4" signal input of the dbx-dbx signal output-preamp return. Do I need to wire up the strip?

2. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Maybe increase the gain of the signal you're feeding the dbx? Maybe your fx return isnt within the parameters of the dbx...although the dbx is designed to work at line level. But usually increasing the level of the signal you feed a compressor = lowering the threshold.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What amp are you using?

4. It's being fed from the pre dsp out of a bass v-amp currently until my Presonus Eureka gets here. The input meter seems to be calibrated to the factory +4dB input=0dB on the meter and when I'm playing the input meter is in the red...

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  6. It's just odd to me the I have to run the threshold as low as it goes to get any compression. If I run it any higher than -40dB then nothing happens.

7. The only other thing it may be is the cables? I'm using George L. cables, not traditionally wired TRS mono cables...guess I could try using different cables.

8. Nah, shouldn't be the cables. How's the dbx reacting when you plug in directly with the bass (or with pedal or something)?
    Treshold that low combined with 1:4 ration (e.g.) should give you a lot of compression. That's at least the case when I set it that way.

9. A bass straight in has even less input gain...my ratio is set around 10:1 so it should squashing the signal at that point but it only blips the first light on the reduction meter and doesn't sound very compressed.

10. I contacted revive music and they check the unit over for free when you send the unit in to have there upgrade package installed. Might be a good option...