1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dbx 160x replacement pots

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by carvinbassplyr, Aug 22, 2012.

1. I would like to swap out the pots in my dbx for a set that have "clicks" in them for easier setting recall. Does "stepped" and "detented" mean the same thing? I've found plenty of "stepped" pots with "x" amount of steps, but not so many "detented" pots. Just wasn't sure what the difference was...

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They are the same thing generally, however a stepped pot will have several "clicks" around the rotation, while many detented ones just have one click at noon. So be sure the listing specifies how many steps or detents it has.

3. Ok, I just wanted to be sure. The most I've generally been able to find is 24 steps, wouldn't mind having 30 though. Any recommendations on where to get them from? Having a hard time finding stepped pots in the long shaft version needed for the dbx.

4. I'm actually having trouble finding 3 pin stepped pots...all I'm finding are 6 pin. Any help pointing me to a distributor/seller/maker of these would be VERY appreciated.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You've already checked Mouser and Digikey?

6. Digikey had nothing...had a bit of difficulty finding stuff on the mouser site

7. I even contacted dbx...they were no help.

8. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, sadly DBX is another of those companies that has changed hands so many times that their current employees have less knowledge of their older gear than you do, and have zero motivation to enhance your experience with that gear.

Try posting in rec.audio.pro and get the attention of Scott Dorsey or Mike Rivers.

Or try http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

edit: Just noticed you were probably even speaking of a current piece of DBX gear. Really a drag when a company is no help in such a simple matter of info. Shows there's no one there who knows much about the gear.

9. The version of the dbx 160x I haved hasn't been made since the 80's unfortunately...and you're right I seemed to have much more knowledge/info than the tech on the phone. His answer was, in so many words, "that is a discontinued model and is no longer our responsibility".

10. I got in touch with revive music. They'll mod the front panel and mount new style stepped pots for me if I send it in to have their burr brown, etc. upgrade done to the unit. Might be s good option.

11. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY

Hahaha, I had a feeling you might have been talking about a 160x (I have one and an older 160 as well and you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hands : )

You're kind of in luck, because mods and tweaks to the various 160's are a fairly regular thread popping up on pro audio boards (second to arguing about the differences between all the versions! : ) You'll definitely get answers to the stepped pot question.

On the other end of the spectrum I'd recommend Jim Williams at AudioUpgrades as a source of possibilities.

http://audioupgrades.com/upgrades/upgrades.htm

His standard upgrades aren't cheap but they're reasonable considering he turns your beast into a whole new animal. I'm not exactly sure if he does such a minor thing, but he knows 160's inside out, and my exchanges with him have been very helpful to me so maybe he can answer and sell the right part to you (no affiliation)

12. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Not that it really makes a difference in this case, but just to clarify terminology - a proper stepped attenuator is a multi-position switch, with each switch position dialing in a discreet circuit that can be extremely precise regarding its value. That's the way mastering versions of processors are made, so the settings are repeatable, and extremely accurate. If it uses mil-spec tolerance components, when it says "-0.5dB" it will be within .001dB of that. Stepped attenuators are very expensive and is one reason mastering gear is so through the roof. A detented pot is just a standard pot that has click-stops built in, and it's not that accurate. Depending on the quality they could be 10% off or more of what the setting says, and it can be different every time you change it and go back to the same setting. But if it's not in a critical environment such as mastering, that really doesn't matter as you don't need completely precise repeatability, and you're just adjusting it to taste anyway.

13. Revive music gave me a quote of $125 to do their standard upgrade service and put in 42 step pots in place of the old ones, and that includes return shipping...not bad IMO.

14. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That sounds like the ticket. Not bad at all.

15. Yep, it's going in as soon as the Eureka gets here.

16. Got the dbx back and Revive did a SUPERB job. The service pack is obviously awesome and the new detented pots are SO sweet! HIGHLY recommended!