Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 160x vs. FMR Audio RNC

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of threads about compressors, but I was hoping I could get some insight into two specific units. I should have about $200 to purchase a compressor and have narrowed it down to these two units.

The first is the DBX 160x. I used to have a 163x and liked it, but wasn't satisfied with the amount of control I had over it. I see these go on eBay for less than $200 and is my first choice.

The second option is the RNC from FMR Audio. I might be getting this new from the company (an advantage over eBay,) and have heard many rave reviews for it. However, I have run across some people who experience distortion when using it with a bass. Some have offered a simple solution to this problem involving specific settings, but I'm wondering if this will hamper my ability to adjust it, much like why I got rid of the DBX 163x.

Any insight into these two units is greatly appreciated, but feel free to suggest some other units and why (I have looked into a couple others a little bit, such as the EBS Multicomp, Rane DC-24, and the Digitech Bass Squeeze.)

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use the dBX 160X in my rack, and it is wonderful. It is completely transparent (I use it for speaker protection mainly) and noiseless. IMO, it is the best bang for the buck compressor avaiblable as it is studio quality for under two bills (I got mine for $175).

I can not recomend it enough.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I prefer the RNC because it adjusts in a very intuitive and musical way.
    Unless you pile both sides of the preamp, no overdrive to fear as far as I'm concerned.