Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX 266XL COMPRESSOR

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MODNY, May 10, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i know there are like 100 threads on this..but i'm starting a new one..

i recently picked up a dbx 266xl. its a great unit.. i've heard people talking about daisy chaining channel 1 output into channel 2 input...

this is great for the extra gain stage etc, but i find it makes soo much god damn noise... TONNES

i'm running the compressor " pre" pre amp in my effects loop.

also, i find it a little hard to dial in the attack and release so that i dont have the abrupt choppy sounds happening...

i'm using the soft knee " over easy" button... i jut have the gate turned of right now..

should i forget about the extra gain stage? and just couple both channels stereo?

anyways

if you can help me out, maybe with some settings etc as a god place to start i think that would be great..

btw my set up is a edenwt-600 accugroove tri210L F bass Studio 5

thanks for the help

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had a 266Xl and i found that it worked fine in my Trace rack, but that it was practially unusable in my GK rack, for whatever reason, so it's hard to say how it will function setup to setup.

They are notorious for their clicking, as many here will tell you.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    First, I need to know what application you are using the compressor for and then I need to know about your head- is there an effects loop, and if so is it balanced or unbalanced? Is there an adjustable level controll too?

Ted

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think i figured it out

honestly
    i dont want tonnes of copression at all, i jsut want to soften my peaks on the G string... i think i have completed that..

and made it not noisy by using the gate/expander

cheerio!

6. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    i found the 266xl not to be the greatest compressor for bass. make sure u have ur attack and release relatively high, about 1 or 2 o clock, that will prevent that odd choppiness

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    E, sorry I didn't get back to you last night...

...make sure the -10db channels are pushed in for both channels.

...I'd be interested in your gate settings, I don't use mine at all!

...is the effects loop pre or post preamp on your head?

I think I posted the link to some suggested settings in the other thread you started about TC Electronics, if you do a general search for "Compressor Settings", you'll come up with at least three which give suggested settings for daisy chaining dual channel rack compressors...have fun!

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks man

i'll hook u up with those gate settings next time we talk... i have them both the same on each channel