Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
  2. It seems I just saw a Dbx comp in some big-name act's PA rig- details fuzzy. I use an Alesis 3630- good sound, lots of adjustability, about $100. I also have a DOD Milkbox pedal- good if you want to switch it on & off- not bad for $40. More to the point of your question, though- I guess I'd be leary of any rackmount item for $33.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Alesis 3630 is widely known as a great doorstop. Almost any pro in the audio business will say, given the choice between a 3630 and no compression, they'd go without. Get the dbx 166 if you can find one. Better, but more money, is the 160a.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Some dude on the Post your Rackmount post really hated his... I was kinda riding on that but If the great Munjiman says it is so, I'm going with that baby!

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i got my dbx 163x for about $40 USD so that could be another option, mine has been solid in all aspects.

6. The higher end dbx (166, 160a) are very nice compressors, but from experience the 266xl is terrible. Even using very moderate compression settings there would be an audible "click" every time the comp would release. I picked up a Presonus Bluemax and have been very happy with it. It was a reasonable price and sounds very good.

7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    what DOES a compressor do anyways???

8. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Its a processor that ONLY changes volume. basically it just makes your volume more constant and less variable.

9. "The higher end dbx (166, 160a) are very nice compressors, but from experience the 266xl is terrible. Even using very moderate compression settings there would be an audible "click" every time the comp would release" ........
    Nothing is wrong with the "266XL". You either don''t know how to use it or you have a problem with you're equipment and or setup. Thats MHO but I knoww alot of people here use the 266 and have never said that.

10. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    the 266xl is a little finiciky with bass signals, it says in the instructions that for Bass, you should but ur attack and release past 2:00 (or something like that). I did notice some strange things when i made the attack and release very fast

11. But it makes pretty lights! Red, green- I think yellow. I have mine set pretty subtle- maybe the lights are the only thing going on. Hey! It's stereo- maybe I can use one side as a doorstop. Seriously, I have been told all Alesis stuff is junk, & though I've never had any prob's, I don't claim to be near pro-level so what do I know.

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Mine works great in my rig, run both channels in series to get the extra gain stage, and compress for peaks the second pass through...

13. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys...

Go for the DBX 166xl, supreme sound and controls.

Why try to save money on your sound? :p

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Because WAF is low when it comes to upgrading gear! :D

15. I am quite well versed in compressor usage. The unit in question made the "click" at very reasonable settings ie: 3/1 ratio with moderate attack and release times. I am aware that many comps can not handle very fast release times with bass. I noticed this noise with all possible combinations of attack and release times. Perhaps my unit was defective, however I've read many accounts of others having similar problems with the 266xl. The associated gear was well set up and in flawless working order.

16. The DBX 266 I had made the same clicking sound. I don't think it was you.

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, perhaps someone dropped the ball on QC...did y'all have it checked out at all to see what the problem actually was?

18. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I just bought a 262 from Ivanmike.

Awesome compressor imo
    Really makes a difference to me.

Why spend a lot of money when you dont have to?

19. No. I read a lot of reviewers on the web that had the same problem so I sent it back to the 'BAY.

20. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Mine worked fine new out of the box...