Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DBX DriveRack PA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steve Moore, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Hello,

I own the PA that our band uses. We get a great sound out of the system. I have been toying with adding the DBX DriveRack PA to replace the 31 band graphic EQ and the crossover. One of the things that turn me on to this unit was the sub harmonic bass synth feature to enhance the low end of the system. Also the RTA capabilities.

I'm also the bassist for the band, hence the special interest with the sub harmonic bass synth DBX has.

I was wondering if anyone on TB here has any good or bad to say about the unit. I have not bought it yet, I have read "Pro" reviews and they are mixed. Some really like it to the point of saying that you should not run a PA without it, to it is not necessary. I would like to hear form people that actually have some experience with the unit out in the field, especially in the bass synth arena.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Moore

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    We use one in our pa system. As the guy that runs the sound from stage I really like it.
    Positives: The pink generator is really nice for dialing in a room. I like being able to take about 15 seconds after setup and get a good starting point for eq'ing the room. This of course changes after all the people show up, but it's a good starting point.

The feedback filter is really nice also, i don't have to keep turning around to chase frequencies during the show. The sub harmonic is nice but I don't use it much unless the room is really tinny, i have found it to be a bit boomy at times, making the low muddy instead of tightening it up. I really like the fact that after about 2 nights of using it in the same room I can just set it and forget it (i probably owe Ron Popeil some royalties for that).

Cons: I really don't like eq's that you pick a frequency and click up or down, i'm a slider type guy. But for the small amount of tweaking i need to do during the night i can live with it.
    Another con and some people may think it's a plus is that it takes away the necessity of learining the frequency spectrum to really dial in a sound. There is something to be said for being able to name a frequency and grab a slider based on the pitch of the feedback. And this ability really helps when dialing in a tough room.

I do like the unit, especially since it has replace 2 eq's and a crossover in the rack. If you don't have or want to take the time to figure out how to eq a room and want to be able to walk in, set-up and know that your pa will have decent sound it is a great unit. If you are a true audiophile and want to wring the absolute best out of your system then I don't think this unit would be for you.

I like the fact that I can concentrate on my playing more and every time I go out front to listen to the sound I like what I hear.

jmo of course, ymmv.

Rick

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    A word of advice for using the Driverack PA. Get a UPS for it. The DRPA has one major flaw, and that is if the unit accidentally gets shut down (powers off) while connected to your amps, it will send a large spike through your system and can seriously damage your speakers. By keeping the Driverack on a UPS you lessen the risk of it powering down accidentially in case you trip a breaker at a club or someone trips on a cord and pulls it out.

The other Driverack units do not have this problem, only the Driverack PA.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's a very nice X over. We have one and it works very well but i think it's a little overkill for a band to use for a gig. If you need anything more than a little x over and some EQ then more than likley the venue will be large enough to provide the PA system.

That pink noise generator/rta EQ's the room flat. What you have to do is go back and re eq anyway because the system will sound very non assuming and being a bass player will have to tweak the lows anyway to your liking. I'd rather just EQ it by ear and be done with it. The sub synth I never use, it's more for like Techno/electronic music IMO, doesn't do anything that I want for my bass tone.

If your running sound while you play I always go with K.I.S.S. It really won't do anything to make your sound better. Get your system SMARTed by a professional to get a total flat response, a little EQ will go a long way if your system is flat and balanced. You can manually cut and boost for the room and save yourself a lot of time and money and worry about your playing.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Since this is more related to PA than recording Eqipment, I'm going to move this to misc. Seems more PA guys hang out there so you're likely to get more replies