Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dbx Project 1 262 Compressor/Limiter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by epoxo57, May 18, 2005.

1. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Hey all!

I just found an older dbx 262 compressor that I have had stashed under some old junk and just put it back in my rack. I can't seem to find the manual, not even sure it had one since I got it used at Daddy's Junky Music during a visit to Boston.

My questions are:

Does anybody know how to get a manual? I went to dbx's website, and it is not even listed in the discontinued products for manuals. They want $10 for a copy......pffftt!

What does the "stereo couple" button do if I am running only one speaker and only have channel one hooked up in the back of the unit?

What is the "output gain" knob for...to compensate for the loss of volume when you compress?

What are the ideal settings for slap and fingerstyle that y'all use?

Thanks in advance!!
    Scott :D

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have one of these and it has worked out quite well for me. Good luck finding a manual - i never did. But if you can find a manual for a similar-feature dbx, it'll do the trick.

The "stereo" button allows you to run both channels in parallel as opposed to running them in series. I run mine in series using the settings posted many times by finger blister on this board. Do a search for "compressor settings" and you will find them. I play a lot of slap and fingerstyle and those settings work perfectly for me.

The "output" setting is simply a gain increase that, if set too high, will result in distortion, so be careful.

You got a great unit, man - those things are durable, reliable, and easy to use.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I suspect if you download a manual for the 266XL, you'll find the answers you're looking for, at least in general. Cheers!