Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dbx Subharmonizer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, May 5, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Anyone use one of these things or a Kosmos? How could you utilize one in a live situation without destroying your speakers? Bi-amp with a Big 'ol 18 folded horn? I've been interested in one since I found out that Laswell uses one for recording and since I love that big dub tone, I thought I might try one.

2. Go to effects my freind...You will find much on this.

3. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    I used to use one when i ran sound for an alternative band.I added it into the mix thru an aux,i used it on kick drum and bass guitar and nearly shook the bottles off the shelf running it thru 2 18's per side.It should be blended with your dry signal at the amp and i don't know how you'd do it with your setup,a separate mixer could be used.

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I read the thread in effects and it made a lot of sense and addressed my equipment worries. What I was thinking of doing is run my Acme full range, and from my preamp low pass, into a Mackie 1400i and a PA folded horn sub. I know you can pick these up used pretty cheap and I think it might be fun. The stuff I'm into doing right now is freaky dub-ambient; kinda similar to the newer Laswell stuff (I've been a HUGE fan of his since '84). Anyone know a good Tabla player in the DFW area?!?!?!
    OOOOOOOOH!!!!!! I NEED one!!! I want to give the train that comes barreling by my house every 20 minutes some of his own sub-harmonic distress!!!

5. Do a search of my posts and you'll se a whole bunch of stuff regarding the wicked dub-wise setups and dub-tools I use in my Live dub ensemble here in Canada. Me big laswell-head too...

6. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I'll do that. Thanks and let me know if you think a Massacre tribute band could get work.;)

7. About as well as that Painkiller one I'm in I suppose..
    (I wish.)

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you guys are wanting boomy, full lows, you really owe it to yourself to try out an Alembic SF-2.

I've used the low pass filter to add some serious booty to my sound without muddying up my tone.

I can get everything from a tinny, cheap AM radio soun (could come in handy in the studio) to big dubby woofs out of my basses. The ability to blend two different filters with the natural bass tone gives you a pretty varied palette to work with.

MSW--I see you have a MuTron III. I just picked up a NOS from the 70's on Ebay in mint condition. I can't wait to hear all of this stuff together.

9. The combo of my AC-Mutron III and the DBX is about as close to bliss as I have ever been on stage....careful or else you might hurt something (someone!) Fattens up the Mutron VERY nicely.

10. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've got the DOD FX25B and I think it's ok, but I AM curious about the Superfilter. I use an F-1X and I love it and if I knew what the superfilter actually did, I might look into getting one. I Would get rid of my BBE (too sterile) and slap that puppy in the empty space of my rack. I've heard that "filter" is another name for EQ that the Brits use. Is that what it is?

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, it really is more of a filter than an EQ. But, you can use it as a notch filter if you have some nasty queaks you want to EQ out, too.

I think if Alembic did a better job of explaining what the SF-2 actually does, they'd sell a lot more of them. I can't imagine not having one, now. Their description of "swiss army knife of tone" is very accurate--but, only after you have heard one.

I'll try my best to post a couple of sound files in the next day, or two.