Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dbx266xl owners, please help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JohnPativens, Sep 21, 2005.

1. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Hello bassplayers :) I'm new to this forum! I would really appreciate your :help:

I bought this unit brand new about 4 weeks ago. I spent a lot of time setting it up for a good bass compression, trying to make it work its best in my rig. I use to connect like this:

YamahaTrb6II---> korgtuner ---> dbxIn1, dbxOut1--->dbxIn2, dbxout2---> Line6BPXT pro ---> amp.

Ok, I use first dbx channel for compression and the second one for gating.
    But I can' t understand why playing low open strings like E (in particular) or B, the unit works in a strange way: threshold leds start flashing from green to red, then green to red again and so on, gain reduction leds start flashing between two db values and
    at the same time, the unit makes that strange sound, which is like ''frrrr'', during the attack!
    I found that playing E open string closer to the bridge makes the unit work as I described while playing it closer to the neck makes it work fine! But I can't play all the open E notes in a song on neck position just because it doesn't like ''low strings bridge vibrations''!! What do you think is the problem? :confused: :meh: :help:

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    One of the reasons why the 266xl aint the greatest for bass. Anyways, when i had that problem, i fixed it by turning the release and attack past 1'o clock or so (and turning off the auto). In otherwords, slow release and attack. It actually says this in the manual too, for when using bass signals

also , I dont think theres a need to use the 2 channels on your DBX, u should be able to do the gating and compression in the same channel. Tho if you want gate, compresion, and a limiter, then u'd need both.

3. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Thanks! :) I couldn't find that on the manual! Anyway I use a slow release, now I'm going to try the slow attack (I used attack set up at 11 o' clock). But how could you explain that depending on the position (bridge or neck) where a low string is plucked, it makes the strange sound or not? :meh:

Its auto function is really messy with bass. :confused:

You can't hear that sound playing at very high volumes...but it is a problem to solve! :(

I also heard about bass players who didn't have that problem with this unit. So much :confused:

4. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Every bass guitar is different. I have an active ibanez, so i bet my guitar tends to put out alot of loud bass-end, and i think the 266xl pretty much struggled with the bass sub-bass frequencies, especially when they are the only frequencies. Like i said just turn ur attack and release up to 60% or so, turn off auto, and u should be fine

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have one. i dont use it. when i did, i only used the compression.

why would a bass player need a noise gate?

6. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    I play an active bass too...but I'm afraid setting attack up to 60% or about 2 o'clock wouldn' t be the best compressor set up for playing quick note sequences, I'm going to try it this afternoon.. I wonder if dbx166xl has the same problem..

7. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Distortion. MY ODB-3 created tons of noise so i used the noise gate to keep the quiet parts quiet. and it helped prevent some unnecessary feedback as well

I dont have any problems noticing slow attack/release on my 266xl. No pulsating or anything. But i guess you'll just need to try it out and see for urself.