Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DC adaptor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by yor123, Jun 30, 2001.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Anybody know if it is safer to use a low milliamp (300) adaptor or high (1000) when the specs don't give you a clue.

I am eating up batteries in my Korg Pandora and Tech21 Sansamp DI. They both are 9V. Neither of their web sites have any info on DC adaptors except that you can order one of thiers. I bought a "universal" one from Radio Shack so I could use it for both units. The guy there said when in doubt, always use higher millamp. The Sansamp's specs does mention that 100ma is the minimum, but no mention of the maximum.

Any suggestions. I don't want to fry these things. I will call Korg and Tech21 and talk to their tech support, but wanted to check here first.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The higher figure doesn't mean that the highest amount of current will flow -- it just means that the device is capable of delivering that amount, if required.

Think of it as an electric circuit in your house. Just because there's a 15amp circuit breaker doesn't mean you can plug a 100 watt light bulb into it. It's the constant voltage delivered that is important, and as long as the MA rating is higher than required, you're cool. I've used smaller DC adaptors and a big 1000ma adaptor with my own Bass SansAmp DI, Zoom BFX-708, Morley Volume pedal, and other 9v devices, no problem. Calling tech support will get you the money answer: "you must use our adaptors"

Pay attention to polarity and voltage (and quality of adaptor) - that is what's important, and ignoring those specs can cause a burnout.

3. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Thanks Bob. The circuit breaker analogy makes sense. Appreciate the help.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

yor - Do you have a local Best Buy?

I bought one from Radio Shack for my Pandora, and the g.d. adapter plug that fits on the Pandora's pole is too loose and disconnects at the slightest vibration from the unit and from my SansAmp. (It's 800mA).

I bought one for about the same price at Best Buy and it came with a variety of adapters plugs in the package. It's 500mA and one of the adapter plugs fits very snug and tight.

Now, if I could only find one with about 30' feet of high quality, heavy gauge wire/cable for around the house that isn't Barbie Doll-house white/cream colored.........

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I cut the wire leading from mine and spliced in another 12' of light gauge black polarized twinline and used shrink wrap on the soldered connections. In its last form I spliced a pair of DC power plugs to feed to my SansAmp and Morley pedal on a homemade pedalboard. That, along with a pair of 12' good quality cables were made into a small snake with small nylon ties every six inches or so to go between my rig and pedals. A neat solution.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bob - That is a logical, quality, solution.

Unfortunately, the only confidence I have with tools and invasive-surgery wiring is my ability to hurt my gear, myself, usually both :rolleyes:

Pre-made cable lives off of incompetents such as I.