Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DC area - recommend a studio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Philbiker, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My band is to the point where we want a demo of original material. We don't need the best production quality, are there any studios in the DC area that people here would recommend?

2. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I've had good luck at Blue House Productions in Silver Spring, it's a pro tools shop with a great engineer (Jeff) who if you want will act as a producer. Also Actiondale Studio, Mike Harvey, really knows how to make a good rock record, not sure if he's pro tools. Both studios are in houses.

Of course these studios have hourly fees that could add up, another option which could possibly be free is contacting the recording studio at American University. They have students that sometimes needs bands to use for their experience. I did that with a band years ago, it was free, and the quality was prretty good for free. But it was a few years ago so, you'll have to call and see if they're still doing that.

Hope this helps.

3. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Cue Recording (Falls Church) - the Red Room has a good vibe.

Wrightway Studios (Baltimore) - Steve Wright is the man. Tell him Frenchbread & The Chinamen sent you.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This is where I've recorded in the past, but really only in Studio A with the big 2" Studers. This project is not that high budget. The Red Room at Cue is currently number one on our list.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If you haven't already tried the Thai restaurant right behind it, do so. Good eating while you're waiting for your bandmates to track.

7. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Wrightway in Baltimore is great, but you're talking BIG BUCKS.

There are a number of places in the Baltimore area that do extremely high quality work in the $30-$50/hr. range.

8. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    A LONG time ago, I recorded at inner ear. It was still in DZ's basement then.

Depending on the type of music you're doing, this place is possibly the best for many miles. There is a lot of history, and great bands that have been through there.