Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DC Bass Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Aug 21, 2000.

1. I asked about this quite a while ago and nobody had much to say, so here I go again. I get to jam with accoustic instruments all the time, but very often this is outdoors with no AC outlet available. The accoustic basses I have tried in shops don't seem loud enough and I like my MIM Jazz just fine, so I need a DC powered amp. I have seen but not heard the Pignose Hog 30 and I have heard people say it's lame. Is it??? All I need to do is be loud enough to play with accoustic guitars. I don't need a lot of volume. I thought about a car battery and an inverter for my Peavy Microbass, but that sounds like a nuisance and the battery and inverter would cost more than the Hog 30. Any other options?
    I'm new to making music and I'm really surprised that there isn't a bigger demand for a DC bass amp. I run into accoustic jams all the time in outdoor places, and there's never a bass and they all need one.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry, I can't help - but maybe explain (?):

I think it's a problem of phyiscs:
    Bass frequencies need much more power to be heard. This may be a reason why battery driven amps work quite fine for guitars, but seem to be insufficient for bass.

The same with acoustic instruments: the body of an acoustic bass guitar is too small for good bass response. There's a good reason for double basses being such huge babies!

Matthias

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I agree with Matthias bass requires more power to make sound then guitars. Have you ever considered buying/renting an upright & play? they have a great sound to them but are HUGE. Also a cello is slightly softer but has a different range [strung CGDA] i personaly use my cello if i'm playing with acoustics & i can't plug in my bass. Best of luck

4. I finally went for it and ordered the Pignose Hog 30 from MF. $150 plus $11 UPS. The thing came today. I put it on the charger for ten hours per instructions and then plugged in my axe. Unbelievable! This thing barely makes any noise at all. Too weak to keep up with an accoustic six string. An absolute waste of my time and a waste of the money to ship it back to MF for a refund. The problem of DC bass amplification remains to be solved. I suppose the answer is going to be a small 15 watt AC amp, a car battery and an inverter and a charger. Any advice on rigging up such an arrangement?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You seem to be operating under the assumption that you can get satisfactory sound from a DC setup. I think it's highly unlikely. You need at least 100 watts to get a useable sound out of a bass. Okay, power = current times voltage. Or, current equals power over voltage. 100 watts divided by twelve volts equals 8.25 amps. So how many minutes do you suppose a battery (say, a car battery) can supply 8 amps? I dunno, but not many, I'm sure. Buy a generator.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You could try investing in a generator and then using your normal rig outdoors.

7. MY Peavy Microbass amp is more than enough to jam with my accoustic friends. It has two seperate wattage ratings on the back. One side says 50 watts and one side says 20 watts. If 50 watts is describing it's power draw (I have know idea what I am talking about) then it would be drawing a little over 4 amps. I have a deep cycle gel cell marine battery that is 47 amp hours. There are DC/AC power inverters rated at 600 watts for under $50 at the marine store. It looks like such a set up would run my little AC amp for ten hours. I have one of those little Coleman 1000 watt generators, but it is way too noisy for this purpose.

8. UCWhatUdid

UCWhatUdid

Oct 2, 2000
    I bought the Pignose (picked it up a a GC grand opening for $99) for my son to use for a small practice amp in his room (already crowded with keyboard, electric guitar/amp, acoustic guitar and now bass). I have a MIM Jazz myself. Frankly, to me it seems to work great - in a small to medium sized space - say up to 400 sq2 foot room. Now, if you are jamming in a large space or outdoors (as it seems you sometimes do)it will have a hard time keeping up.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What people are saying, is that to get any serious bass out of an amp, you need a lot of power, which just can't be provided by batteries. I have heard a few of the guitar amps in this category and they are seriously "tinny" - no bass at all. If you are in a small room and put the amp next to the wall, you might get some bass response, but in most situations - nothing in terms of bottom end.

Upright bass is the only way to go in this situation!