Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DC gig -My Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by basscentric, Aug 21, 2005.

1. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi everyone... my band Spiny Norman is playing at the Grog & Tankard Friday, August 16th at 8:15 pm. Please come if you can. Audio samples at www.spinynormanband.com. If u do come... plse make sure to say hi. I'm the dude with the bass.

thanks
    justin

2. My band played at the Grog last year and it was a lot of fun. He asked us to return for a Saturday gig but the band soon dissolved over "personality differences."

But, low and behold, we have formed again and this time even better with the addition of keys. We play sissy strut, too.

MAybe we could double gig there soon--we plan to get back on the stage in a couple of months.

3. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I was in a band that played the grogg a few years back... It was sort of a dissapointing experience...

The worst part was that they apparently had a fee for using their PA system that they didn't bother telling us about...

Too bad our bands don't really have similar or complimentary styles...

-Bruce

4. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    Hmm, played there several times in the past couple of years and no PA fee my has encountered.

It is pretty easy to get in there to play for an out of town band...doesn't really have its own regulars so you are going to have to rely on the local bands playing to pull in a crowd. Velvet Lounge would be the next step up. We have a blast playing there though it is still cozy.

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    The Grog!! A good place to start, but a too-small bar that mainly features "bottom feeder" bands.

use it as a good stepping stone....then get an agent. It's the only way to get decent gigs in DC. Trust me.

6. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    Or just gig swap with DC bands if you are out of area.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1

8. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    Dan... let me know we ready to gig. We also play in other venues...maybe we can work something out.

Does anyone know of a good booking agent in DC?

9. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    BTW - Did not encounter PA charge.

10. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    The biggest agent is PartyDC. I would contact them.

11. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi everyone....

Just a reminder.... Spiny Norman (my band) plays at the Grog & Tankard tonight at 8:15!