DC Resistance Issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thrillyourself, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Thrillyourself

Thrillyourself

Aug 15, 2016
    I've been contemplating what pickups I'd like to throw in a project I've been working on for awhile now. I've hacked up an Epiphone EB-0 and I'd like to add a Dimarzio Model One at the neck (resistance 11.31 K), and a SD custom shop Ripper (resistance 7.1K) for the bridge. I'd wire it similar to a ripper bass with the bridge/series/parallel/neck options.

I'm no expert when it comes to the tech specs so I'm curious if anyone can tell me what kind of problems I would run into here. I know resistance doesn't necessarily gauge output, but I feel like 11-7 might make a significant difference.

Any thoughts?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It may or may not. You are right. Resistance is the least of the concerns. With different pickup manufacturers, you need to make sure each of the wires is hooked up properly so the pickups are in phase both electrically and magnetically. The color codes for the leads differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The main issue is inductance. If the pickups have similar inductance characteristics, then they will "play well" together. If not, one pickup may overpower the other when both volume controls are dimed.

3. Thrillyourself

Thrillyourself

Aug 15, 2016
    Is the only way to find out just to try it and see?

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    With the Model One you have the option of wiring it in parallel rather than the usual series mode. Or better yet, wire a switch to allow either. I would expect that parallel would mesh better with the Ripper pickup.

Also, as above, substituting "single-coil" for "parallel".