DCM 2000-Sansamp RBI-AcmeB2&B4@8OHMs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Dec 26, 2003.

1. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I am saving up for a Acme Low B2 and Low B4, both at 8 ohms. I think it will give me the versatility to play anything from a quiet folky gig to a hard rock gig with loud band in a hall. I can use the B2 alone for the quieter stuff and I can bridge the amp into both cabs for the louder stuff.(4ohms@6x10). I will be driving them with a Carvin DCM 2000 and Sansamp RBI Bass Driver pre amp. Any Opinions on this set up and set up?

I am going for versatility in sound and volume.

What do you think?? :bassist:
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds like quite the rockin' rig,

but keep in mind, the B2 might be drowned out by the larger B4. so you should run parallel with each cab getting the right amount of power. and tho the B4 loves monstrous power, me thinks that might be too much power for the B2, wherein you could blow it.
  3. I have that same Carvin poweramp. Awhile back I was going to go with Acme cabs. Most people including Andy Lewis recommended that I went with (2) 4 ohms B2's. Then run the Carvin amp stereo...that will feed the Acmes 700 watts per channel. Also, it seems a few people had problems running the Carvins bridged @4 ohms with Acmes...apparently they shut down. Just my .02.
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Yea, I was wondering about the cabs being unbalanced and pushing the B2 to hard. Is there a way to hook them up so they act as a 6x instead of a 2x10 and a 4x10. Sadly, I am not to sharp when it comes to electronics. And if not, should I get two B2s, probably not enough volume for a loud rock band, or a pair of B4s. More than I want to carry but easier to move than an 8x!!
  5. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    And how loud were the pair of B2s. I will be playing in a loud Rock band and I don't want to have any problems hearing myself. A pair of B2s is substantially more cash than a B4. But I didn't want to have to lug around a B4 if I didn't need to.(practice and such)

If I were to daisy chain the pair a B4 and a B2 @8ohms and bridge the amp is it 4 0hms or 2. I really don't want to be running anything at 2 Ohms:confused:
  6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I also recommend against the B2 + B4 idea. Maybe you could start with one B4. It may be all you need. If you find that it's not loud enough, or you need more "highs", you can always add a more efficient 2x10 that's louder and adds more mids/highs than the B2.

I have a pair of B2s (8 ohm). You're right, they cost more than a B4, but I like carrying 50 lb. cabs, and the "extra" midrange and tweeter of two B2s is worth the money, IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Bridged-into-4 ohm, Carvin-shutdown problem" was eventually ascribed to the phenomenon of using new Acme cabs whose impedance dropped below 4 ohms because they were not "broken in". Once the Acmes are broken in, which only takes a few hours, bridging into 4 ohms is not normallly a problem.
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I sent a note out to Acme to get their opinion on what will best suit my needs. But it is seeming that a B2 and a B4 together isn't a good way to go. Unless I intend to use them separatly, so why not just go with a pair of B2s. And I agree with the 50pounds and getting the extra horn and mid may help cut through the mix. I am skeptical that a pair of B2s will be loud enough for a loud rock band. What is the head room theory? Your cabs should be rated for about a third of your available power? The B2s are rated for 350 watts and my the DCM 2000 is rated at 700 watts @ four ohms per channel. A little lite but it should drive the B2s. Decisions,Decisions:confused:
  8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    700 Watts per B2 is a good number. I've used 500 per cab with a bridged DCM1000, and it worked fine, but I usually use a QSC1602 bridged (800W per cab).

I don't know if two B2s will be enough for you, either. (It's too bad we can't all measure our band's loudness, and post our specs. Then I could tell you "my pair of B2s is easily heard in our__ dB band".) That's one reason I suggested the B4.. in case you had to add on for more volume. I guess you COULD add another cab to a pair of B2s, but then it gets even more complicated.
  9. I believe you're right. It seems alot of folks weren't breaking the acmes in before gigging with them.

Anyhow, I didn't go with acmes because I was in a fairly loud band at one point...competing against 2 very loud guitarists...and I was in between them. :mad: I think they would be ok in my current band as we have a very low stage volume.
  10. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Yea that is my fear is that a pair of Low B2s won't be loud enough. And I really can't afford a pair of Low B4s, nor do I want to lug them around. And I don't think my amp would drive a pair either! That is why I was hoping to be able to combine a B4 and a B2. But I guess it will not work together as I was hoping. What did you end up with? Is it working for you? Where abouts in NY are you? I used to play in Plattsburg @The Teal Lizard.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's the only explanation I could come up with for why the R600 I owned wouldn't drive a 4 ohm B-2. I can't prove it, but it seems plausible. OTOH, one side of a stereo Carvin amp IME will drive a B-2 at 4 ohms all night without complaining. Bridging into 4 ohms *might* be OK with the break-in--though I broke the cab in for 5-6 hours and it only helped a little--but I'd still recommend running 4 ohms a side personally. BTW, when it worked it was a very good sounding rig.

If I were you I'd get two 4 ohm B-2s and run them one to a side. That way you'd get the equivalent of about 1400 watts into the equivalent of a B-4 (with an extra midrange and tweeter).

Also, you could check out this new mono bass amp Carvin is coming out with. 700 W into 8 0hms, 1250 W into 4 ohms and *1900 W* into 2 ohms. About $799. It's so new it may not even be on the site yet, but if it isn't, it will be soon. It's called the B1500. Something like that plus one B-4 would probably get you through a lot of situations, and you could then save up for another cab at your leisure.
  12. Bizzaro,

I live in Malone, not far from Plattsburgh. Where in Vermont are you?

I went through a few brands of cabinets...Sunn, Peavey, SWR Workingman's, and now SWR Goliath Jr. and SOB. I also have an Aguilar GS212...all this purchased in 1 year...I have a very patient fiance! The cabs I'm currently using are working great for me. I used the same pre/poweramp for all brands. The preamp a Peavey Max, can be had for cheap used. I used the same power amp that you plan to use, Carvin DCM2000...very nice amp, never had problems. I just traded the Max for a Peavey Pro 500. I lost alot in power...850 watts stereo @ 8ohms to 350 mono @ 4 ohms...but I don't notice it. The Pro 500 is plenty loud. I wanted to downsize, needed something lighter.

I definetly recommend the SWR's that I'm using. They're loud, I filled in for my old band and had no problems. I've used the Aguilar and the SWR 210 together with good results.

Good luck, it's frustrating I know...been there.
  13. I just got my Carvin catalog, this amp is sweet! Good price too. The cabinets look cool too, but they're huge, way too big and heavy for me. But the B1500 is tempting.
  14. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I am in Johnson, VT. I have been through Malone many times.

I am not a big Carvin fan but ended up with the DCM 2000 by default. I have had numerous problems with Carvin bass amps. I starting with the R600 and traded up to the R1000. (I have been through serveral of each)I think with the R series they are trying to put to much into one unit, ie: lots of $hit to go wrong! I am really wanting a QSC PLX but can't come up with the coin.

I really like the idea of a cab that will reproduce the low b fundemental.(Acme) I may go with the two low B2s and hope it cuts through at gigs. I am tied into the Sansamp RBI with the DCM 2000 for a while.
  15. I'm sure the Sansamp will serve you well. I almost went with one myself.

Let me know if you get the Acmes. Maybe I can check out your band sometime, I'd love to hear them.
  16. Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    My rig: SansAmp BDDI into Carvin DCM2000 driving a pair of 4 ohm ACME Low B2's. (I've been using this setup since spring of '03 and have gigged with it approximately 30 times.)

My gigs: Everything from quiet acoustic sets (just an acoustic guitar and bass) to full blown 5-piece rock bands.

Only when playing (1) in a rock setting and (2) competing against a full blown drum kit, will I ever bring my second cab to a gig. Even in the loudest of gigs I have never had both cabs running together at full volume - even when playing without a PA in a bar with about 150 people. I nearly always play in medium sized clubs with solid pa system, so my experience might be different than others, but I can't imagine being in a situation and needing more volume than I can get from my setup. It is true that these cabs will be quieter at the same wattage as more efficient cabs, but give them the juice and they kick.

I have not had any problems with the DCM2000 either. I have played several Carvin bass amps and hated them, but I have no complaints with this power amp.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i'd go ahead and try your 2x10/4x10 idea.

as long as you give each cab their own channel on the power amp, i'm sure you'll be fine. the majority of the sound will prolly be put out by the 4x10, cause its efficiency is that much higher than the 2x10's, but either way, the 4x10 will carry the bulk of your sound, while the 2x10 will act as an ear level monitor.

if you do have slight problems with cutting, i suggest a nice boost in the upper mids for definition. IMHO, the real key to "unlocking" the goodness of the flat response of the Acmes is in fiddling with your EQ.

and, remember, you have a 2 week trial to get a feel of the cabs, so i doubt you'd go wrong.

good luck!
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    If you used:

- 8 ohm 2x10
    - 4 ohm 4x10

Then you could run them in parallel on the same channel of the amp (or bridged), and they'd get the same equivalent power - basically acting like a single 2.67 ohm 6x10.
  19. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Kindness, Cool!! Your post is most encouraging. It is looking like that is what I will try. If the DCM 2000 can drive the two B2s and crank out some volume, that is all I will need. I keep hearing about the Acme's power requirements. I guess the DCM 2000 will actually be more efficient at driving the 350 watt B2, and maybe would not have enough juice for the 700 watt B4 unless I ran a single B4 8ohm cab bridged,(1400 watts for the DCM).

Geshel, I knew there was a way to hook them up so the power would kind of be equal to all and it would sort of handle like a 6x. I just wasn't sure what the sequence should be. Thanks. I really don't want to run anything under four ohms. It just seems to be asking for trouble. If I had two B2 and a B4 in 8 ohms and bridged my amp to 4 ohms. What is the difference in how the cabs interpret the signal? What is the pupose of your imballance of the cab ohm rating in your suggestion?

Joker, I thought about that and I could match volume unless it got really loud. And I don't know if 700 watts is enough to drive the B4?

Nickel, The band that used to play in Plattsburg has been dissolved for a couple of years now. It was a fun gig though. We would take the ferry over. S U N Y turns Plattsburg into a Zoo at night. IT was a blast. I have used the Sansamp, but not with the R2000 which is on it's way. Can't wait.
  20. Bizzaro,

I can imagine some wild times with the Suny students. I play in Potsdam and Canton frequently. There's four colleges between these two towns, Suny Potsdam, Suny Canton, Clarkson, and SLU. I see alot of action !

Let us know what you decide to go with. I'd still like to hear the Acme's. I haven't been on the ferry in a few years. Road trip! :bassist: