DD-20 Giga Delay (How To)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by I.A.L Diamond, Feb 8, 2009.

1. I.A.L Diamond

I.A.L Diamond Guest

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm taking some experimental turns, as a bassist, right now. I'm doing alot more tapping and other supposedly unconventional ways of playing the bass...I've been buying effects pedals too.

Anyway, I just bought the dd-20 delay pedal. I have no idea how to use it, I've never used delay. Are there some practical tips or setting you guys can help me figure out? Any dd-20 experts here?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Did it come with a manual?

Since you have a 23 second delay, you can do some very interesting things with doing longer delays. You can work in some quick slapback effects so when you tap a quick scale, the notes cascade into each other. Tap tempo is your best friend, especially w/ tapping since drummers tend to go off time at least a liiiiiiittle bit.
    Practice the twist function too...

3. I.A.L Diamond

I.A.L Diamond Guest

Nov 26, 2008
    Bought it used, no manual.

know of any standard/interesting settings to start out with?

4. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I use it manly for delays. That being said, my favorite is the analog setting. Not really analog esque but sounds really cool.

Also, if you are into the wild delay, set the feedback to max, hit a string loud and move the time. Things get wacky then.

+1 on the Twist mode.

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Cool man, the manual is available here

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    That delay is a very versatile tool. What do you want it to do?

7. I have a guitarist friend who says he'll sell me his. I love the one the guitarist in my own band uses, but I haven't researched delay effects for bass that much. Any comments? Is there a better delay for bass for $160?

8. Dapper_Bandit

Dapper_Bandit

Dec 30, 2007
    Great pedal you've got yourself there.

A good starting point might be to set the delay time to about
    710 mscs and move from there. When you get into the 3-400 mscs
    area it'll give an almost reverb type effect and longer times will
    really be to your taste. The SOS setting gives you up to 100
    seconds of looping to play with and that's before you even get into
    the different sound settings. But a lot of messing about with it will
    be required, but that's part of the fun of a pedal like this...

9. I have had this pedal for about 4 years now. I Use one of the settings for analog delay with a really fast time about 740 If i remember and a shorter feed back to create a cool echo type delay.

Make sure you keep the manual in nice big print with you as you play with this pedal since there are a few settings that are not on the face plate but done by holding down one of the buttons. Another fun thing is to put a volume pedal in front of it this will give you some really cool sounds out of it. And always write down your settings since they can be saved to presets, I have been using the same ones for 2 years and have no idea what they are I just like them.

10. I love my dd-20!!! I have analog delay on my first preset, tape on the second, smooth as my third and reverse as my fourth. All the other knobs are pretty much up to the users taste and what the song asks for. The only downside is not being able save the 20 second looper as a preset. I also mess around with 1/8th, 1/16th notes as a tap tempo feature. It looks like a lot of features but there's really not.

EDIT: $160 seems kinda high. I bought my dd-20 for $100

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021