1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'daddario Tapewounds requiring lighter touch?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jan 21, 2012.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just put a set of D'daddario tapewounds on my Decade and I've noticed that I have to play with a lighter touch to avoid fret buzz. Is this normal of lower tension strings such as these?

I've got the neck adjusted and everything feels comfortable, I just have to be more cautious with my right hand it seems.

2. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I say if your strings buzz, adjust your string height. If that don't won't, adjust your truss rod. Those strings are certainly live. I'm using some now. There is no reason, however, to make wholesale changes in your style of playing to accommodate the strings. Make the strings accommodate YOU. Otherwise, it might not be worth the bother.

3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    you got it right. a quick setup and a lighter touch. i had those strings before, not bad at all. what do you think of them?

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I like them tonally, I think they were what I was looking for..something in between flats and rounds. But I feel like I need the action higher than I'm used to or else they do buzz even after a setup. So because of that I'm contemplating taking them off.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    The tension is low at 32-37 pounds: D'Addario Strings : Nylon Tape Wound : ETB92 Tapewound Bass, Medium, 50-105, Long Scale
    The nylon tape is less dense than steel so even though they have gauges of 50-105 the tension is similar to a 40-95 set. Tension is proportional to the mass of a string, not the gauge :)
    Nylon tapewounds made to be standard tension would be too big to fit in the nut slots, which would put off a lot of customers, so they made them to fit a standard nut but with low tension (which is a good thing anyway healthwise).

6. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I just got the short scale ones.....I quite like them and even managed to get a slightly lower action than with the Fender flats I had on before but they do buzz slightly if you play them too hard but I'm pretty easy on them and have a light touch......I find them harder on my fingertips then the flats though but could be because I haven't played much lately so have to rebuild my calouses....though playing flats I never did get calouses....I think I prefer the flats but I'll keep the tapes for a little while and see what happens....

7. I have 2 sets of the tapewounds on order and plan on putting a set on my precision and a set on a jazz bass. I have EB Flats on both now...45-100. Sounds like I'll probably be doing some adjustments.

8. Yep, I had to adjust the truss rod on my Squier P when I put D'Addario Tapes on. Great strings.

9. I put the tapes on my Precision yesterday. After playing it a couple hours last night and a couple hours today it doesn't appear to have effected the action of the neck. It may be a different story when I put some on my Highway One Jazz and Geddy.
    Btw...I do like these strings!

10. I put some tapes on the Highway One Jazz this evening. So far the action is ok. I'll give it a day to settle in and see how it is. The Precision didn't need any adjustments.

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I had to adjust the P bass I put my set on, which previously had TI Flats on it. TR needs tightening a bit, but the low tension is easy to play with slightly higher action.

12. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I also just tried a set on my SUB 'Ray - for me, switching from .50-.105 SIT Power Flats required a truss adjustment and a slight adjustment to both hands in terms of technique.

13. Before I start adjusting I need to review what I need to do. I want to raise the action just a little. Clockwise or counter clockwise...that's the question.

14. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Well I just took the tapes off.....don't get me wrong....I like the tension and the feel but they seem a bit dead.....I prefer my Fender Flats..much warmer....and I think the tapes just don't like the pups I have on this bass (SGD - nice pups but they prefer flats)....I'll try them on another bass and see what happens....

Edit:

So I decided to put the strings on the Landing once again....this time I did a full setup....had to raise the action a little since these strings have such a low tension but I think they'll stay on this bass for a while...these strings just make those Dark Star pups sound wonderful and make me play so much faster, my hands just fly on these strings......KEEPERS.....

15. I used the nylon wound D'Addario's yesterday at practice. This is the 1st time I played them other than at home practicing. To me they sounded and felt great. I did play a little "lighter" than I usually do. We play classic rock and I could get whatever tone I needed. The other guys in the band said the strings wouldn't work for this type of music but I thought the same thing til I read about the strings and finally tried them. Once we started playing the guys changed their mind...the strings had plenty on low end but rolling the tone will bring out the growl on the Jazz bass.
    When I got home I put my last set of nylon wounds on my Geddy. Now I have them on my Precision, Highway One Jazz, and the Geddy. I have one more Jazz to put them on so I need to place and order.

16. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Whoa, don't start turning the truss rod just yet. Raising the action and adjusting relief are two different things, and you do them for different reasons.

If you're not sure of the difference I'd simply raise the bridge saddles a bit. That's going to be clockwise on the bridge saddle screws. If you have to go really high to get rid of most of the buzz, then a relief adjustment may be in order. Lots of good information on setups on TB.

I'm loving my tapes. I put them on a self-built mongrel fretless. I'm messing around with stupid low action right now and using the buzz to "fix" my heavy handedness. I think I could use to play lighter with more volume (on the amp).

17. Don't worry, I didn't just start cranking. The precision didn't need any adjusting. The Highway One Jazz needed a little adjustment of the truss rod, about 1/8 turn. On the Geddy I adjusted the bridge saddles a little.

18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I put a set of these on my CV 60's precision after hearing how nice they sounded on Chef's ancient Dark Star-equipped tele. IIRC, my E is .115" so I was curious how they would fit the nut. All strings seated in the nut with no problem. I took it to church for the first time today and enjoyed it VERY much. One unforseen bonus is the ease of dynamics - they allowed me to go from normal volume to whisper-quiet so easily. Diggin' these strings!

19. I have them on my MIA Precision, Highway One Jazz and my Geddy. I ordered a set for my MIM Jazz. It has some DiMarzio pickups on it so it should get some serious warm lows if needed. One of the things I like about the tapes is I can get the low, warm, mellow lows but with the roll of the tone control they will get some growl. I'm glad I ran across these strings...they're my favorites. I play classic rock in one group and some older country in another group. These strings work good for all types of music.

20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I've been trying different string sets on my single-coil precision (CV 50's). First Ken Smith Rockmasters, then Chrome flats, then Jason Hellborgs. All cool in their way, but not exactly what the bass needed or what I was wanting to hear or feel. Last night I transferred my Deep Talkin' tapes from my CV 60's to the 50's and my mind was made up. These strings are perfect for precisions. As good as they sounded on the 60's P, they were JUST what the 50's needed to balance everything out. SCPB's can almost be over-responsive and this string set helps 'tames the beast' a bit. My favorite sounding "E" of all four sets. These tapes make it so easy to go from phat & full (yet defined), to full bite. The deliver a very strong fundamental. Nice, organic overall tone, 'woodier' sounding than a regular flat or round-wound string. I'm going to have to try these on my Dark Starred jazz... :bassist: