DDT compression and do I need it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman134, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Hey,

I have a Peavey mark VI Bass head. for all the years I have had it I always followed the manuals instrutions to leave the DDT enabled to protect my speakers. Does anyone know exatcly what this does? I am running an 8ohm EV 4X10 and a Old 8ohm JBL cabinet. I dont always use the 18. In fact if shutting off the ddts will help me get a little more volume I'll probably drop the 18. I am going to experiment at rehearsal tonight with disabling it, but I'd still like to know what exactly it is compressing..

2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    if it's protecting the speakers, it's probably a clip-limiter..
  3. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I think it's current limiter in the power amp realm.
    I had Peavey Mark VI head as well. I operated it both ways with DDT in and out. Sounded really good too. As I recall, shutting down the DDT did give it a bit more balls but it did break up a bit. Use your ears see what you like. Of course, I could be wrong.................
  4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I used to own one of these. However, Trip, I didn't think it sounded very good. Now I use GK!:D

Yeah, it's just a power amp limiter. I thought that it squashed the sound too much, but then again most Peavey amps do that anyway without the DDT compression.
  5. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I play GK myself these days.;) :D I am one happy boy!! I really do recall the Peavey sounding pretty good though.
  6. Well, I shut it off and didnt really notice much of a difference.. but then again when it was on it was'nt really coming on. I think it is a peak limiter on the preamp section. When I have the pre cranked up, thats when it comes on. Tonight I Cranked the main up to 8 and left the pre @ 2, sounded better.

I am looking for another amp, shopping a hartke 3500..