1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk6-6s & mk6-g6 - blablas is doing a double build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Sep 15, 2015.

1. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I like the additional wing on the headstock. It really balances things out.
  2. redboy1975

Apr 24, 2011
    I don't know man , this thing to me is begging to be a headless . I like the headstock though .
  3. It looks nice headless but I don't want to go that direction due to the very limited choice in headless hardware and the high pricing of what's available. I could make the stuff myself (been there, done that) but that's a serious amount of extra work I'm not willing to do anymore.

The 'been there, done that' bass.
  4. Ordered the Pickups for the bass, Delano JSBC 6 HE.
    Controls will be passive - stacked ala 62 Jazz Bass. Simplicity itself.
    Jisch likes this.
  5. Ordered and received more parts.
    For the bass all the parts but neck attachment screws are in now, for the guitar version I'm still waiting for specifications.
    Going to start on the bass very soon. :)
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    joselorellano likes this.
  6. Finally going to make sawdust on this double build soon, already prepared some odds and ends, more details later.

Also did some designing for the next planned project, a 10 string, no exact plans yet. The only thing I discovered is that I have to build the bridge myself, there is nothing to my liking on the market for a 5 string with octave strings.
  7. At last I did something again on these builds, amazing how low the urge is to do something on them.
    Knobs for the bass VI variant, put on two coats of Danish oil, they still need to be cut to the proper height.
    Means2nEnd and reverendrally like this.
  8. Noticed I forgot to update my progress on the 10 string bridge.
    Done some minor redesigning and finished fabricating it.
    The redesign, string through body/top-loading hybrid.

The saddles.

The bottom plate (with saddles).

And the finished result.
    You'll see it again in my next build project.
  9. a lot of my images are gone - Thanks to Photof*cket.

(and they're back again, thanks TalkBass :thumbsup: )

Anyway.... Sawdust!!!
    Finally did something on the bass version, re-sawed the beam to something more manageable.
    Next up: Level the sides that will be glued together and thin down these two pieces of wood. (Lets wait and see when the urge comes up ;) )

For the time being I'm just going to start on the bass version, the guitar client will become enthusiastic once he sees something happening.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. Leveled the sides, sawed to the right thickness and roughly in shape.
    I think this will become the (righty) guitar version, the grain looks lovely.

Still more than enough oversized.

Will do the same tomorrow/day after tomorrow on the other body.
    JACink likes this.
  11. The other body.

and together.
  12. Gluing the body halves.

And both body's are done.
  13. Filling the tiny burl holes with CA glue before I sand the body level.
    There are two spots and they go right through the body.
  14. Sanded flat the front- and backside.

Wetted down the fronts with some water to let the grain pop to roughly show how they will look after oiling and also to let the wood fibers swell a little so the final sanding will be even smoother.
  15. Sawed The bass body in to shape.
    The guitar will follow later, first need to do some tweaks to the design.
  16. Guitar:
    Made a rough neck layout, only the scale and fret positions are absolutely correct.
    With the use of this neck layout I was able to modify the body design to something that fits nicely to this neck, around it's 1 to 1,5 cm smaller than the bass body.
    Still need to work out the headstock, once I've got the nut and bridge I can do that, not urgent right now.
  17. QKbxAuF.
    Second body ready to be sawed in to shape, picture to show the size difference between the two.
    mapleglo likes this.
  18. And sawed the second one as well.

Stacked on top of each other to show the difference between the bass and guitar body.
  19. S8CJmoX.
    Sanded smooth the outer contours.
    DevinWard369 and joselorellano like this.