Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

De Armond Pilot Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nails, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'm still shopping around for a 5 string to call my own. I've got some questions about the De Armond Pilot Pro. Out of curiosity, where are the De Armonds manufactured? Is the Pro neck thru, or just the Deluxe? What do the owners of the Pro think about how it plays and sounds? I still haven't gotten my hands on one so I haven't formed an opinion on these yet. The only downside to these I see is that I'm not that fond of how they look, but that falls to the wayside if it plays and sounds great.

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    DeArmond to my knowledge is MIk or @ least the ashbory is. Check the DeArmond site to find out whether or not the Pro is neck through since i don't have a clue. THats all

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was looking at that same bass for my first 5-string. Look at their site http://www.dearmondguitars.com, and look for the info needed. I think I read somewhere that DeArmond is a company of Fender, don't know for sure.

If you decide to buy it, in Musician's Friend they have it for $360.

Good Luck

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    afroman,

What did you end up going with? If you went with something else what did you not like about the De Armond? Was it tone, body style, feel, or did you just find something that blew it away?

Thanks for the help thus far.

5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I have played the cheapest model in the shop I teach in. I dont know the model but it is arround $295 or so, and it is the best low end I have played. The active electronics and the neck are great. Plays much the same as a MIM Jazz Standard, but the electronics are better, and the PJ config is more versatile.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    The DeArmond bass I talked about was the Pilot 5-string that appeears in MF for $360. It has a bolt-on neck, passive pickups and active electronics. Bass PLayer gave it a great review go look in http://www.bassplayer.com under GEAR. I haven't bought any 5-string yet, because I'm gonna buy a Hartke 3500 head and a 4x10 cab, don't know which brand yet.

If you need any more help feel free to e-mail me.

Good Luck..