Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

De-Fret an Ibanez GSR100. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leomilani, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Hello guys! I havent posted here for ages... but anyway, here goes my doubt:
    I have had this GSR100 since I started playing, but recently he´s been just sitting around while I play my other bass (EDC705) mostly because I need the fifth string to play most of my music... Also, I always wanted to have a fretless bass just to fool around with, and... why not de-fret that old bass??
    Well, most of all, I´m afraid that the sound of it ending up to be horrible without frets (its not that good with frets either, but anyway...), and that I would need to change the pickups to make it a little better, and unfortunately, that costs money... and I don´t want to waste money to make a half-decent bass :(
    So here´s the question: Is it worth to de-fret that bass? And what (relatively cheap) pickup should I look for to install on it, if needed?
    Thanks for your attention! :D

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, if you wont be heartbroken if you mess it up, I'd say go for it! Also, as for pickups, sometimes you can snag some nice Dimarizio's or EMGs for pretty cheap on the bay, or even here at Talkbass.