Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

De-fretting pao ferro fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by velocraig, Jan 14, 2004.

1. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Anyone ever do a de-fret on a pao ferro fingerboard?

I'm considering it for a bass I'm thinking of purchasing cheaply.

Results? Thoughts?

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I haven't defretted one, but my Jaco signature Fender (production model) has a pao ferro board, they put some sorta coat on it though, sounds pretty darn good :)

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    You own one too? One hell of a bass, isn't it:D I Upgraded it with a badass 2 bridge and some Rotosound swing bass strings. The fretless fretboard is excellent. I got to play it with a Ampeg Svt 8*10 cab and the Svt 300 watt tube head. I got my dream bass sound. Does the fretted model have a pao ferro or a rosewood fretboard?

4. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I don't own it yet...it's the koa body w/ pao fingerboard fretted one...I was just thinking that it would make a great fretless! Already has a dark, warm and rather smooth sound.

5. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    After you remove the frets, just coat the fretboard with something. My choice would be polyurethane lacquer. I am going to convert a cheap p-bass into fretless tomorrow, and that is my choice. Pao ferro is an axcellent choice for a fretless fretboard.

6. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I bought it...having to have it shipped and should be here on Tuesday.
    I'm thinking de-fret and the vol/blend/tone configuration is going to become vol/vol/tone as well as a BadAss.
    I'll post results as they progress. Any other thoughts appreciated.