1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

De-fretting pao ferro fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by velocraig, Jan 14, 2004.

1. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Anyone ever do a de-fret on a pao ferro fingerboard?

I'm considering it for a bass I'm thinking of purchasing cheaply.

Results? Thoughts?

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I haven't defretted one, but my Jaco signature Fender (production model) has a pao ferro board, they put some sorta coat on it though, sounds pretty darn good :)

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    You own one too? One hell of a bass, isn't it:D I Upgraded it with a badass 2 bridge and some Rotosound swing bass strings. The fretless fretboard is excellent. I got to play it with a Ampeg Svt 8*10 cab and the Svt 300 watt tube head. I got my dream bass sound. Does the fretted model have a pao ferro or a rosewood fretboard?

4. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I don't own it yet...it's the koa body w/ pao fingerboard fretted one...I was just thinking that it would make a great fretless! Already has a dark, warm and rather smooth sound.

5. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    After you remove the frets, just coat the fretboard with something. My choice would be polyurethane lacquer. I am going to convert a cheap p-bass into fretless tomorrow, and that is my choice. Pao ferro is an axcellent choice for a fretless fretboard.

6. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I bought it...having to have it shipped and should be here on Tuesday.
    I'm thinking de-fret and the vol/blend/tone configuration is going to become vol/vol/tone as well as a BadAss.
    I'll post results as they progress. Any other thoughts appreciated.