1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

De-fretting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by groovetool, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Hi

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to de-fret a bass with a 'synthetic' type fretboard such as the Status 'Phenolic' or 'Ebonol' as used by Cort etc, also, is this type of material effective as a fretless (i.e. is it capable of producing the desirable Mwahhh!)

Tony

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I defretted a graphite-necked Steinberger bolt-on. I used pretty much the usual defret technique and had moderate chipping of the phenolic.

The trick was to go back and resurface the board with black dyed epoxy. Overall, I was very impressed with how well it turned out.

From a Sporting Goods (gun-type) store get "Brownell's Accra-Glass liquid (not gel) which comes with black dye. It's an expoxy designed to have minimal shrink for inletting rifle stocks. About $13 for a box was enough for my neck (2 coats). I built a dam around the edges with masking tape and poured on the liquid. When it was all setup, I sanded it back with a radiu sanding block and findally 0000 steel wool. I went to a hobby store and found some 1/8" white plastic rod used by model railroad folks for something; made perfect white side dots on the old fret lines.

I played it for a year or so, ground roundwounds, with little marking; pretty hard stuff, and great tone I thought.