Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

De-fretting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by groovetool, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Hi

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to de-fret a bass with a 'synthetic' type fretboard such as the Status 'Phenolic' or 'Ebonol' as used by Cort etc, also, is this type of material effective as a fretless (i.e. is it capable of producing the desirable Mwahhh!)

Tony

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I defretted a graphite-necked Steinberger bolt-on. I used pretty much the usual defret technique and had moderate chipping of the phenolic.

The trick was to go back and resurface the board with black dyed epoxy. Overall, I was very impressed with how well it turned out.

From a Sporting Goods (gun-type) store get "Brownell's Accra-Glass liquid (not gel) which comes with black dye. It's an expoxy designed to have minimal shrink for inletting rifle stocks. About $13 for a box was enough for my neck (2 coats). I built a dam around the edges with masking tape and poured on the liquid. When it was all setup, I sanded it back with a radiu sanding block and findally 0000 steel wool. I went to a hobby store and found some 1/8" white plastic rod used by model railroad folks for something; made perfect white side dots on the old fret lines.

I played it for a year or so, ground roundwounds, with little marking; pretty hard stuff, and great tone I thought.