Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Jan 11, 2002.

1. I've got a Squire Affinity P-bass that I'm currently upgrading. New Pups, new Pre-amp, new EQ, new built in distortion.

What I want to do with it is make it a fretless, and I would like to know how to go about this. Do I just pull the frets off with a pair of pliers, or is there a certain technique to it? I already have a piece of Maple vernier to fill the slots with, should I use something else? Or should I just shell out the bucks and buy a professionally built frettless neck?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Rock on
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    search for "defretting" theres alot of links to a different sites that are good.
  3. i tried de fretting with pliers and couldn't grip the frets, so i got a small flat head screw driver and knocked them up a bit from the side, my frets had little teeth in the which chiped it a bit but after sanding it down and filling it it was fine

this technique worked fine for me but i can't reccomend it'll work with yours
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search. This topic has been covered several times.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  6. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Hey, I chiseled out the frets with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. I just kind of hammered it under the fret and slowly tapped it and pried them up. I did it gently and slowly as to not pull out chunks of the fretboard :p
  7. Don't.

One of the most painful sights on a visit to my local luthiers is seeing all those buggered fingerboards from DIY defretting jobs that he has to put back into some form of useableness.

There's taking the frets out. Then there's fitting veneer. Then there's truing the board and modding the nut. Then there's putting in new position dots on the side of the neck (which I recommend. You can live with the one's on the board, but get new ones in on the side of the neck if you are filling the slots with a dark veneer). Then there's neck set up.

And all this is assuming there's no binding on the board.

My take on this is this: if you have to ask someone how to do it, get someone else to do it.

I'm not meaning this as a put down, Eric. Even a Squier is a bass, and deserves appropriate love and respect.