Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DE-FRETTING

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Any advice on pulling the frets out of some of my basses, if I can do this myself, what tools do I need and what do I fill the slots with, or should I just take it to a shop?

please advise.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Do a search on defretting, you will find several threads that discuss this in great detail.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    moved to setup

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    "You will need a pair of pliers, a soldiering iron, a small screw driver, fine saw dust, fine sanding paper, some pva/wood glue and some kind of a hard setting finish ie epoxy resin.
    1) Take off the strings.

2) Heat up the soldering iron. Place the iron on a fret for a few seconds (this should melt the glue holding the fret to the bass).

4) Use the screw driver to prize the fret off the neck and out of its rut. Repeat this on every fret. Be careful you don't hack out parts of the neck.

5) In the rut, pour in some glue, and sprinkle in some of the saw dust. Pack the saw dust in tightly, keep stuffing glue and dust in until it can take no more!

6) Repeat on each hole, and allow to dry.

7) Using fine sand paper, sand off the excess dried saw dust around the edges of the fret hole.

8) Once its all sanded and smoother than a young infants botty, coat it lightly in epoxy resin and allow to dry. Once its dried, add one more layer of resin and allow to dry. Restring the bass, and happy fretless bassin'!

9) It may be necessary to lower the action of the bass, do this by screwing the screws in the saddles clockwise, causing the saddle to lowen, and the strings to lower toward the fretboard.

Preservation: Get some Flat wound strings to preserve the neck and avoid wear: flat wound strings don't have those grooves n that round wounds do, so don't act as teeth chewing into the unprotected surface. Every 6 months or so it may be necessary to re surface the neck. Sand down any coarse areas then follow step '8'"

5. everything he said, but try using a toenail clipper to remove the frets.