De La Hoya vs "Sugar" Shane Mosley

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Who's planning on watching it, and who do you think will win?

I think it will be a tough one for De La Hoya, but, I think he'll win by TKO in 8.

Let's hear your opinion.

I've become a fight fan in the last few years, but, I'm no expert.

Good Weekend, all.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This one will be very tough!

Oscar has got a lot to prove and he will probably do everyting he can to take Mosley down.

I hope Oscar wins!
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wish I had cable and the money to watch this. I also feel that De LaHoya is going to bring the revenge. I think he'll win by decision.

brad cook
  4. bah, i cant tell the difference in boxing and "professional" wrestling anymore...

if i wanna see some fighting i watch some sumo, thats a real mans sport :p
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Mosley in the 2nd, just to give some contrast to all you guys predictions.

6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    If you slap someazz the 1st time, its a good chance you'll slapsomeazz again: Mosley wins.
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    worst decision ive seen since....wait a minute, its boxing, that happens all the time.

apparently youre damned if you do and damned if you dont. dlh loses the last rounds against trinidad for sitting on his lead. this time he loses the last rounds for trading.

in a fight that looked pretty good from a boxing standpoint for dlh, its a little odd that all the judges had it for mosley 115-113 when the first fight was a split decision.
  8. What a crime!

I'm no boxing expert, but I do not see how anyone could have given the fight to Mosley. Mosley fought well, but De La Hoya was in charge in almost every round.

I still can't believe this. :confused:

And to think my buddies and I paid $54.95 to order this thing on pay-per-view. :(

Oh well, c'est la vie. ;)

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You guys must have watched a different fight than I did, or you're buying into Oscar's whining.

Mosley was in control for the most part, and he won fair and square. Yes, it was a close fight, but it certainly wasn't "stolen" from DeLaHoya, and it certainly wasn't a draw.

That Oscar is contemplating legal action is a horrible travesty to his legacy. Instead of being a man, and retiring like he said he would if he lost, he's making a joke of himself by attempting to challenge the judges' decisions in court. That he says he's doing it "for the good of boxing" is ridiculous.

I've been a fight fan for about 10 years now, and I've seen MUCH worse decisions than the one on Saturday night. If the scoring had come out terribly lopsided like 118-110 then maybe[/] he'd have a case. But, the scoring was close just like the fight was close. He lost.
  10. If he tries to bring legal action, then I'd say he's a whimp. I still don't agree with the decision, but as you said, "He lost."

I can't argue with that.

Now, if you want to talk about the De La Hoya/Trinidad fight a couple of years back, Trinidad beat the toast out if DLH. He would have probably knocked him out, but Oscar kept running away from him in the last few rounds. Tinidad slapped the tar out of him, then took his lollipop. ;)

That was a fight!

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. I am sad that Trinidad retired. He was fun to watch with those giant hams at the ends of his wrists. :D

The problem that Oscar faced in this fight is that he lost the first one. And, when you lose to someone, unfortunately, you have to prove that you are the better fighter, and not just "get by." Even if there is a case that the fight should have been called a draw (it wasn't), the onus was on Oscar to step up in the second fight and have a decisive victory.

To accuse the judges of being paid off, and only really having the Compubox numbers as evidence really makes Oscar look like the pretty boy chump that people have accused him of for years. If it was all about numbers, there wouldn't be any need for judges at ringside--it'd simply be a case of who punched more during the fight. It's just another black eye for a sport that has been mired in crap for the past couple of decades. No wonder no one takes boxing seriously.

Not to mention the disrespect it shows Mosley. I mean, he beat Oscar when they were amateurs, and now he's beaten him twice as pros. And, yet, Oscar says it was fixed....

12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think Oscar's has caught the 'sue' bug. The whole country's catching it. The thought is, "I can't beat you fairly, so I'll sue."
    I see by your sig, you're reading Franken's book. I think he's found the source of the infection.:p

(Edit) While re-reading my message, I see I'd didn't phrase myself correctly. The statement is more about the lawsuit than the fight. I'd didn't see the fight; don't have an opinion about who won. I'm distressed that everything is ending up in court. I'd rather see a rematch than a trial.:(
  13. Is it me, or does it seem that many big ticket fights don't end like they did yeas ago, with a clear winner. I'm not suggesting fight fixing, but it seems that many fighters today just try to employ a holding action rather than go for an outright win.

Again, I only really became interested in boxing about 2 or 3 years ago.

14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, this one ended with a clear whiner... :D

If the fight was fixed, it certainly wouldn't be the first time it happened in boxing.
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup, there must have been different broadcasts or something.:D

what i saw, was dlh keeping mosley at the end of his jab for the first half of the fight and landing combinations during the last half. i didnt see mosley land combinations,jab or use his speed as he did in the first fight. it seemed like the occasional hard shot that mosley landed negated what dlh did in the rest of the round. to me, mosley looked confused in between rounds and the look on his face when they announced he won told the story of the fight.

i rank this up there with the draw that was given to the other sugar in the hearns rematch.