1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de-lining my fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, May 30, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I hear people talk about defretting all the time and I was wondering if anybody has ever considered delining their lined fretless.

It's a Mexican Jazz Bass and that was the best thing I could afford at the time and they only come lined. Now I'm realizing that I'll never stop looking at my fingers because of the lines. I feel like if I take them out, fill the gaps with something dark, and do a good sanding job, the bass will look cooler and it will teach me how to play in tune without looking at the fingerboard all the time.

Anybody think this is a good/dumb idea?

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    you can..

route out the lines from the fretboard, and fill them in w/ blanks of the same type wood used in the fretboard. it won't match exactly as the grain will be different, but it's the same color at least.

or..

buy a new fingerboard w/o lines

or..

buy a sharpie in the color of the fingerboard ;)

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    also, there's nothing wrong w/ looking @ the fingerboard to determine if you're in tune or not. after a while, the spacing becomes muscle memory and it's tuned by ear, not by sight.