Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

de-lining my fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, May 30, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I hear people talk about defretting all the time and I was wondering if anybody has ever considered delining their lined fretless.

It's a Mexican Jazz Bass and that was the best thing I could afford at the time and they only come lined. Now I'm realizing that I'll never stop looking at my fingers because of the lines. I feel like if I take them out, fill the gaps with something dark, and do a good sanding job, the bass will look cooler and it will teach me how to play in tune without looking at the fingerboard all the time.

Anybody think this is a good/dumb idea?

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    you can..

route out the lines from the fretboard, and fill them in w/ blanks of the same type wood used in the fretboard. it won't match exactly as the grain will be different, but it's the same color at least.

or..

buy a new fingerboard w/o lines

or..

buy a sharpie in the color of the fingerboard ;)

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    also, there's nothing wrong w/ looking @ the fingerboard to determine if you're in tune or not. after a while, the spacing becomes muscle memory and it's tuned by ear, not by sight.