1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DE RIGUEUR PEDALS FOR BASSISTS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by guitardefector, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hello TB community,
    In addition to perhaps a compressor, what other pedals are a "must have" for any pro or amateur bassist. I know this is very subjective, but I hear so many amazing tones and nuances on recordings and always ask myself this question, "what does so-and-so studio or band bassist have in his arsenal besides a plain old bass and amp." Of course, I realize that recording engineers work magic in their own right so I guess pedals don't do "everything". All responses greatly appreciated.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Tuner.

What kind of music? What's your setup?

3. Can't go wrong with a nice preamp (Xotic or Rusty Box), boost (clean or dirty), or fuzz pedal. This is, of course, purely my opinion.

4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Dirt is my friend. It wants to be your friend, too.

5. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    It all depends on this.

6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Yeah, it does depend a lot on what kind of music you're playing, where you're playing, with whom you're playing, etc.

Still...

I'll tell you what's in my own brain right now.

a) tuner

b) envelope filter and octaver, AND/OR

c) synth pedal (Digitech Bass Synth Wah or better)

d) compressor

e) overdrive/fuzz possibly with a built in DI such as SansAmp BDDI or Aguilar Tone Hammer

I'm not big on choruses, flangers or delays of any kind. That's just me. You get a, b, c, d and e? As far as I'm concerned you're ready to get just about any kind of sound that's worth getting.

Totally idiosyncratic, I know. But there it is.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I don't know about the "de rigueur" thing, but I'd go with tuner and compressor. Preamps could also help define YOUR sound, I guess. I use a SansAmp PBDDI, but there are lots of others (MXR, Aguilar, to name a few). After that, would guess the music you play will dictate effects you choose to add.

And that's all I gots to say'bout dat.

:)

8. A supermassive dirt est de rigueur with my band. I'd feel naked without my Wooly Mammoth-clone on a rehearsal...
    But then again, it depends on your style, and your band's.

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I pretty much agree with this.

Except.

Between classic funk, newer electronic and the synth bass found in much of pop music... you really might want some EF, octaver or synth effects. I myself already have the EF. I'm going to try pairing it with an octaver to see how synthy I can get when called upon.

10. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    I never leave home without a tuner, compressor, and preamp. Those three things are essentials, imo. Nobody likes to listen to out of tune instruments, especially bass. A preamp can make you sound funky or metal or country, or anything in between, if you know how to use it. +1 to a preamp with optional dirt. I've also found myself using pre amps with d.I. capabilities for scenarios where going to the house is a must. And compression anything from managing volume to fattening up your sound. Everything else is just icing on the cake for me.

11. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    tuners are not effects

12. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    All pro and amateur bass players should have at least one pedal.

13. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    Op said "pedals" just pointing that out.

14. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    rawr!

semantics.

15. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    Not even. Didn't mean that harshly, purely a statement of fact.

16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

You might get a good kick out of the BSW, then

:)

17. cchorney

cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Why?

In answer to OP's question, I run just my BDDI Deluxe when I am feeling like having little on the floor. When I want more, I add

an analog delay used sparingly it helps give an upright bass feel to some of our 50's songs

a volume pedal to keep my volume consistent with my guitarist

an AB box to help with quick instrument changes

That's it. I tune with one of those little Planet Waves Headstock Tuners (works really well). And really, I can get my sound without any pedals if I want to - it's just quicker and easier with the BDDI.

18. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I always run a VT Bass and a Frantone Lo-Tone Classic Fuzz, and then occasionally I'll use a Boss RC-20 Loop Station for jam-times. The only one I cannot do without is the VT Bass.

19. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Can everyone please stop replying... The OP hasn't even written back yet...

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    In my opinion, the only EFFECT pedal -- a Tuner is not an effect -- a bassist really needs is an EQ pedal. Everything else is purely optional. With a good EQ like the MXR M108 or Whirlwind Bass10, you can boost and cut your whole signal, specific frequency ranges, etc. For folks that plug straight into the amp, their preamp section has an EQ and most do. Bump the mids to cut through the mix, dump the mids to vibrate some booty.

Every other effect pedal you add is just icing on the EQ cake.

It starts and ends with the EQ pedal.