Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

de-shining?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skie`, Sep 15, 2003.

1. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    well, i can't really complain too much, but lately i've been opening up my case & seeing the bass shine a little bit. i like things matte, so the shine kind of annoys me.

i have a soundgear sr400 ( http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/SR400LA.jpg )

so, my question is... is there a fairly easy way to 'deshine' it safely? is this done very often? should i just get used to living with it? ;)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd try to get used to it if I were you. That glossy finish also acts as a protective coating and makes cleaning your bass a lot easier.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Try rubbing the finish lightly with a piece of steel wool. Takes the shine right off.

4. Interesting idea. :cool:

Personally I prefer oiled wood finishes (no shine) because it reminds me of wood, it reminds me of why bass sounds the way that it sounds.:)

5. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Try asking in the Luthiers corner...

I would use the fine steel wool that you buy in hardware stores.

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you wanted to disassemble the bass, you could spray the body with a thin clearcoat and not buff it.

Steel wool is not a bad suggestion, but it will likely result in an uneven finish. If you use steel wool, you'll still want to disassemble it to keep the dust out of all the cracks and crevices. Or, you should at least take the pickups out; otherwise they'll end up looking like they're covered in fur, as the magnets will attract all the steel wool dust.

JD

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Very goog point.

You may want to try to use a scrubing pad. (the kind that you use for washing dishes) It is not metal so won't give of metal dust. Its finer than steel wool so it will not take as much of the clear off the bass. It will take longer to do, but I think you will be able to get a more even finish if you take you time.

8. be careful striping to much finish off of a soundgear bass, lots of them are coated in a bondo like substance. Steel wool or my personal favoite, green scotch brite pad, works pretty well if you just want to dull the shine.

9. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    thanks guys, i think i'll try the scrubbing pad & see how it turns out (thats what the back is for, right?) ;)

10. wear sunglasses, cheaper and easier ;)