Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

De-tuning effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 28, 2001.

1. I was flippin through my musician's friend magazine, and I saw a pedal called a PS-5 Super Shifter by Boss. This is the description:

<i>Does what no other compact pedal has done before: shifts (basic or intelligent), harmonics, <b>de-tuning</b>, and a variety of whammy-type tremolo arm effects. Simple knob based controls. Use as an optional expression pedal to shift pitch in real time</i>

Does the de-tuning part mean that it can make the instrument sound like it's tuned lower? If so, then I say it's worth the money. I believe it's for guitar, would it work for bass?

If not, are there any de-tuning effects for bass?

2. Anyone else have any info on this pedal or any other detuning pedals?

3. By the way, I would like to pay no more than $170 sale price.

4. digitec whammy pedal

- w00t

5. i'd like the diea of that:D But unfortunately i can't give you any info about it as i don't know it myself. I just de-tune my bass half a step. Sometimes a whole step if we want to cover Children of Bodom:bassist:

6. it will sound really really really really really really really... bad.

7. Why?

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Most times pitch shifters don't sound very good because it's a very processing intesive effect. I run Protools on my super expensive Mac, and pitch shifting on that can still get grainy and weird (which I use to great effect, by the way).

The best detuning device I've found is the Digitech Whammy (either the original or the re-issue, avoid the others). It seems to be the most natural sounding of the cheaper pitch shifters, although it does affect your tone somewhat. You could always get an Eventide Ultra harmonizer, but that will set you back a good $4000.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the Boss PS pedal, wanted to see how it dealt with detuning by a half step / whole step.

It worked, but there was a definite time lag and the detuned sound was warbly and thin.

10. just get a digitech whammy pedal. You can de tune it up to 2 octives, OR uup-tune it 2 octives. Now sure sure, uptuning it 2 octives with bass is a little..shaky :) but it is awesome for just..detuneing it an octive. You just set it to detune 1 octive, and your in normal tuneing. Then when you press the wah-wah style pedal to te floor, your detuned. It works good. (not to mention, you can do lots of harmonizing stuff with it too...great pedal, lots of ideas can be made with that :hyper: )

- w00t

11. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    With the digital whammy, does it kind of take the place of drop tuning? For example, if I wanted to play a song in drop d or c#, I could use the digital whammy to go an octave below? How does it sound?

12. they are awful. the harmonies are not in tune with each other and generally sounds very thin and warbly. Though thats not always a bad thing as you can create some really weird and interesting noise on the thing but i wouldnt use it for what your thinking of.