1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dead a string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by almorgan76, Mar 24, 2013.

1. almorgan76

almorgan76 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I hope you guys can help me out on this one. I have a SR500 that has some kind of imbalance where I play from the E to the A string and the E just booms. D and G strings seem to have more prescience than the A as well. This only seems to be the case with this guitar as my Pbass and my Schecter custom do not have this issue with the same rig. I am not running compression just strait into a Mark bass little mark tube 800. Is it the strings themselves (EB Slinkys) or maybe the Bartolini pups? Do I just need to compress the signal?

2. My experience with SR500s (older Korean made) is that the A is a bit soft as well. Over time I went with heavier gauge strings and that definitely helped.
    Mainly I just add a couple extra db's of EQ at 100/125hz.
    A=440/220/110/55hz
    Lowering the A-string a little at the bridge might help too, as long as it doesn't start fret-buzzing too much.
    Experimenting with pickup height/angle and adding some compression can work, too.

3. almorgan76

Mar 22, 2012
    I did try lowering it as far as I could and the pickup angle is dropped as far as I can on the E and as high as it can on the G. Slight improvements. I wondered if a heavier gauge A might help out.

4. almorgan76

Mar 22, 2012
    Anyone got more insight?